This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

As early as high school, we were introduced to the idea of the crazy college spring break. A week-long vacation where college students travel to iconic beaches to let off built-up steam from the first half of the semester. 

There are movies, tv episodes, and documentaries about these couple of wild weeks in March and April- “Spring Breakers”, Gilmore Girls “Girls in Bikinis, Boys Doin’ the Twist”, and “Spring Broke” to name a few. Whenever the media covers spring break, it usually depicts large beach-side parties with drinking, bikinis, and dancing.

This kind of spring break is attributed to the “college experience” (or so people say). 

I have never had this kind of spring break, however, and I think I’ve finally made peace with it.

My college spring breaks have all been spent with my family, and I used to feel bad about it because I was missing out on the college experience. This isn’t to say that I didn’t love the time I spent with my family. I’m so grateful for the time I spent with them. 

In moments of insecurity, I was affected by FOMO during spring break and thought about what I probably “should” be doing as a college student. 

Luckily, I feel differently this year. I’ve come to the realization that it does not matter how you spend spring break, as long as you enjoy it. This may sound painfully obvious, but to me, it wasn’t, especially when I saw all the social media posts during the week and everyone seemed to be having so much fun. 

I’ve learned that I like more relaxed settings, so that is how I will spend my break this year. 

Whether you spend your spring break partying on the beach or hanging out with your family, I hope you’re able to relax and let off the semester’s stresses. Stay safe wherever you are!

Hello! My name is Rachel and my pronouns are she/her. I am an English student at the University of South Florida who loves to write and talk about fashion, art, and wellness! I am an avid Swiftie, boyband listener, foodie, and reader.