Style > Beauty

Small Routine Changes for the Path to Healthy Skin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

In college, the main things I am concerned about are as follows: my grades, my friends, my bank account, and my skin. The first three listed are not as complex and wishy-washy as the last, which constantly tends to be giving me the middle finger after I thoroughly treat it with daily TLC. Let’s face it, sometimes genetics and your health, food, and water intake are not enough to satisfy the attention seeking beast that is your skin. Fortunately, there are many easy tactics you can take that your skin will thank you for. If you are lacking financially and are a little on the lazy side, these tips are perfect for you.

Ice it.

According to dermatologists, it is never okay to rinse your face off with extremely cold (or hot) water, but rubbing a solid ice cube around on your skin for a few seconds after the process of washing your face has many perks. First, cool water is good for closing your pores and minimizing the appearance of them. Similarly to how people ice their bruised joints, icing your skin also can reduce inflammation and puffiness. I personally make it a point to rub ice on my face before I go to bed, and when I wake up in the morning. Trust me, it makes a noticeable difference. If these reasons are not enough, ice can also tighten up the skin and reduce the appearance of  wrinkles. What a lifesaver!

Photo courtesy of iStock

Invest in a Satin Pillowcase.

I know. We all hate the word “invest.” The good news, though, is that satin pillowcases can cost as low as $5.00-$6.00, and this is the highest monetary cost mentioned in this article. Simply making the switch from a typical cotton pillowcase to a satin one has many benefits. Not only does it minimize frizz and dryness in your hair which can cause breakage, but sleeping on a smoother surface can reduce sleep lines and wrinkles. Since cotton is rougher than satin and can cause a lot of friction, it is also more likely to irritate the acne you may already have and spread the bacteria around which can lead to even more breakouts.

Photo courtesy of Overstock.com

Monitor how often you wash your face.

The chapter of my life where I had perfect skin ended around the age of 13. Ever since then, like most people, I have had incredibly oily skin which has led to problematic skin; however, recently I began washing my face once a day as opposed to twice, and the difference has been noticeable. Many people over wash their face, stripping it of its natural oils and breaking down the barrier function their skin has, thus allowing for more breakouts. For me, washing my face once at night started doing the trick because I was cleansing my skin from everything it had been exposed to during the day, and then giving it a break and only thoroughly splashing it with lukewarm water when I woke up in the morning.

Time your washes.

Washing your face for 10-15 seconds is about as effective as drinking coffee after you brush your teeth. The ideal time for a cleanser to spend on your face is 45-60 seconds, and you should always use the pads of your fingers to gently work it into your skin with circular, upward motions. This will allow the face wash to actually activate its cleansing properties and remove all the grime, makeup, excess oil, and sweat from your skin. I was told to sing the “Fresh Prince of Bel-Air” theme song while I wash my face, which has honestly made my nightly routine a lot more fun.

Substitute those nightly cravings.

If you’re anything like me, your primetime for munchies is right before bed. If you’re going to snack before bed, never go for the potato chips or cheese flavored crackers– foods with higher salt content cause your cells to retain water, which will cause you to wake up with a swollen face in the morning. It’s gonna take willpower (trust me, I know), but try going for light fruits and veggies such as oranges, celery, or even spinach. Those foods are high in vitamins A, C, and E which your skin loves. Your skin repairs itself while you sleep so you should leave a good impression on it before you K.O.

Photo courtesy of Dreamstime.com

Take these tips from someone whose skin used to be their biggest insecurity. Key words: used to.

Remember that patience and consistency is everything, and that it is the little changes that matter most.

Chioneso is a junior at the University of South Florida, with a major in Mass Communications and a concentration in Integrated Public Relations and Advertising. Her hobbies lie in exploring new places, foods and activities, as well as capturing/editing photos and videos.
Interests include but are not limited to: art, history, astrology, skin care, the french, politics (yikes), frank ocean, controversy and being extremely overdramatic.