Slay Your Look But Not The Animals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Navigating the world of makeup can be overwhelming, especially when you’re searching for products that will both flatter you and not cause harm to animals.

In a 2011 survey, over 70 percent of respondents said they believe animal testing is unethical. To help you in your transition to cruelty-free products—no matter what stage you’re at—we’ve created a beauty look using both drugstore and high-end cosmetics that aren’t tested on animals.

Foundation: The Kat Von D Lock-It Tattoo Foundation, $35, comes in 30 shades. If the name is any indicator, this matte foundation is full coverage. Additionally, it has 24-hour staying power, making it perfect for both hot Florida days and nights out on the town.

In Light 48 Neutral, which is described as “light sand with neutral undertone.”

Tip: Apply with a damp beauty sponge for lighter coverage from this thick foundation.

All Kat Von D products are vegan and cruelty-free. According to sephora.com, Kat Von D said, “I am proud to say that Kat Von D Beauty products are never tested on animals—and never will be.”

Concealer:

NYX Cosmetics Hi Definition Photo Concealer Wand ($4.99) comes in 23 different shades, including color correctors. Apply this drugstore concealer under your eyes or on top of any blemishes to blur dark circles and red spots. The formula has a medium-to-full coverage that’s buildable without caking.

The Concealer Wand is a dupe for the $30 NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer, which is also cruelty-free.

Eyeshadow:

Anastasia Beverly Hills’ Modern Renaissance Eyeshadow Palette features 14 shades ranging from neutrals to berry colors, inspired by the Renaissance period.

To create a daytime eye, buff your crease with Raw Sienna and pack the lid with Buon Fresco. To transition the look into a night time eye, simply buff the coffee-brown shade Cyprus Umber into the outer corner of the lid to create a smoky eye.

The palette is certified by PETA to be kind to animals. MannyMUA, Youtube star and Maybelline spokesperson, says “I literally die, live and breathe for it [this palette].”

Eyebrows:

The NYX Cosmetics Micro Brow Pencil ($9.99) is available in six shades ranging from Blonde to Black.

The retractable pencil is super-thin, allowing for precise brow definition. The opposite tip has a brush to fluff your brows.

Online reviews say this product is a believable dupe for the $21 Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz, a high-end product that is also made without animal testing.

Eyeliner:

Wet n Wild ProLine Graphic Marker Eyeliner ($3.99) is a great eyeliner to use when creating a bold look because of the angled marker-like tip. It is available in both black and dark blue. The formula dries quickly, is highly pigmented and lasts for the entire day.

ProLine Graphic Marker Eyeliner in Jetliner Black

Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eye Liner is a $22 alternative to the Wet n Wild product.

Mascara:

According to PETA’s website, Too Faced Cosmetics has been part of the cruelty-free Beauty Without Bunnies program since 2001. Too Faced’s vegan Better Than Sex! Mascara is a volumizing, lengthening mascara with an iconic hourglass-shaped applicator. Apply a few coats for longer and more defined lashes.

Go ahead and cry about animal testing, because Better Than Sex! is also available in waterproof.

Highlight:

e.l.f. Baked Highlighter is $4 and comes in three shades: Moonlight Pearls, Blush Gems and Pink Diamonds. Every shade is shimmery and creates a glowing effect that blends easily into skin.

Brush on this product for an early morning when you need a little extra sparkle.

Lips:

Apply a bold lip with Urban Decay Vice Lipsticks which come in 100 shades including matte, metallic, high shine, satin and shimmer. The lipsticks, available for $17 each, leave your lips creamy, hydrated, and pigmented.

For a classic look, try Weirdo, a baby pink with a satin finish. For an evening look, reach for Notorious, a deep berry shade and for a night out, try Junkie: it’s a metallic green with glitter.

There you have it, a look that keeps both you and the animals beautiful.

What’s your favorite cruelty-free makeup brand? Tell us about it in the comments!

I began at Her Campus USF as a writer in Spring 2017. Then, served as Senior Editor in Fall 2017 and currently serve as the Editor-in-Chief. I am passionate about writing, social media, and graphic design. I am a portrait photographer and a self-proclaimed makeup junkie. Follow me on Twitter and Instagram @cc_red13 to connect!
Morgan is a senior studying Mass Communications with a concentration in Public Relations and a minor in English at USF. She also writes for WUSF News 89.7, The Oracle, CollegeFashionista, and USF PRSSA's blog.
I am a junior at the University of South Florida. I am specializing in Public Relations while pursuing certificates in Business and Visualization & Design. I hope to one day combine all of these and pursue law in the entertainment and even branch out to other passions in family law. While I am studying to achieve these dreams, I have furthered my collection of coffee cups and obsession with caffeine. I currently work as a barista and love to whip up new ideas, whether it be actual coffee creations or branding ideas. My other hobbies include enjoying short walks to the movies and my computer. This is usually to catch up on the latest and greatest shows. If it's not film, it is music. I love the thrill of listening to live music of my favorite and new bands. These inspire me to discover my individuality and brand, while challenging myself to help others find theirs.