Should You Live On or Off Campus Next Semester?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

It’s about that time again, collegiettes™!

Along with studying for midterms and keeping up with your other obligations, it is time to plan ahead for the fall semester and figure out your living situations. Are you going to live on campus in a dorm next fall? Do you plan to rent an apartment off campus? Not sure yet? Well, Her Campus can help you understand your options.

When deciding whether to live on or off campus, the best thing to do is to weigh your options. Decide what is most important to you and make your decision based off those preferences. If you already like how convenient campus is, then you probably don’t want to move off campus. If you like the freedom of off campus living, then finding the right apartment is what you need to do.

In my opinion, on-campus housing is a sheltered experience compared to the independence of living off campus and paying bills such as rent, water, electricity and internet. On-campus housing includes an RA, Resident Assistant, a person who always available for you to call on if you need help with something, as well as Quiet Hours and extra security. On-campus housing generally has more precautions that off-campus housing does not. For example, picking random roommates can be a scary situation, but on-campus housing feels safer with an RA just down the hall. Who knows, your random roommates might turn out to be your best friends. I know mine did!

On campus you also have several options when it comes to the layout of your dorm room. You can choose a traditional, suite or apartment style as well as the option of Greek Village if you are in a fraternity or sorority. You can even become an RA and get free housing and a meal plan. On campus you have access to campus resources such as free prints. Plus, you automatically have shorter walks to class, the library, and all of the various food options. When I live on-campus, I can realistically hop out of bed 30 minutes before class and make it there with time to spare. But when living off-campus, you have to factor in travel time if you are driving, riding your bike or taking the bus. You need more time to get to class and therefore have to wake up earlier to give yourself that time. If you’re not as lazy as I sound right now, then that won’t be a problem at all.

On campus is convenient simply because you don’t really have to commute. You can get to and from campus events without having to worry about how you will get home. Even though I am entering my junior year, I’m opting to stay on campus in an apartment style dorm instead of moving off. I like on-campus housing because I’m getting the college experience that I want while others may opt for something different.

As for off campus housing, I had to ask a few of my friends and classmates about their experience compared to on-campus housing. My closest friends all moved off campus together and rented a four bedroom apartment. They didn’t move too far away from campus, so they are still within walking distance. Although they have a longer walk to class than I do, it is doable. They all agreed that they like not having to pay more money to live on campus such as dorm room costs versus off-campus costs and little things like laundry. Lately, I’ve even been doing my laundry at their place to avoid the extra costs too.

Octavia Williams, a sophomore majoring in art history, said, “Living off campus is a completely different experience than on campus. It has its advantages as well as disadvantages. For example, on campus there is more security, but off campus there is more independence. I, after living in both places, prefer living off campus because it forces me to be more responsible.”

Living off campus allows students to be independent from campus and be responsible with money in order to pay bills and buy food. After speaking with several students, most opted out of a meal plan once they moved off campus and explained how they were saving money by cooking their own meals and grocery shopping. In addition, off-campus housing gives students more space. Most apartments off campus are bigger than the spaces on campus and you don’t have to share a bathroom. You have extra closets and storage unlike the small square box rooms on campus. Overall, off campus offers more freedom and independence from school as well as not having to share your own space with anyone.

If you’re on the hut for an apartment off campus, use USF Apartments as a guide. USF Apartments offers rental information on many different apartments to help you find the right one for you. There are many options to choose from so search around before deciding on one. Also check out Bulls Guide for more helpful information. For information about on-campus housing click here!

Hopefully this article has given you a few things to think about as you make your decision for this coming fall semester. Share your opinion about on-campus versus off-campus housing in the comments below.

Photo Credits:

http://blog.intohigher.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/INTO-USF-Juniper-Poplar-Residence-Hall-5.jpg

http://www.bullsguide.com/usf-apartment/4050-lofts

Jasmin Lankford is a junior at the University of South Florida majoring in mass communications with a minor in creative writing. She is the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus USF. Jasmin is also the Communications committee chair of the College of Arts and Sciences Dean's Student Leadership Society and the Media Coordinator of The Poets at USF. She loves to write about literature, fashion, art, student life and pop culture. She aspires to publish a bestselling book, write and edit for a newspaper or magazine, travel the world, and more. Read her blog here!
Justine is a recent graduate of the University of South Florida. She received her B.A. in mass communcations in spring 2014. She was the 2013-2014 Campus Correspondent for Her Campus USF.She was also a News & Feature Writing Intern for College of Arts and Sciences and the Public Relations Campus Rep for Rent the Runway at USF. She is currently seeking agency experience and would love to someday work for a magazine, become a novelist, poet, editor, host of a Travel Channel show and much more.  She enjoys writing about fashion, beauty, art, literature, pop culture and student life. She spends most days listening to Lana del Rey, calming her nerves with various types of cheese, being sassy and trying to figure out when she can take a nap.Check out her website and portfolio here.She'd love you forever, if you followed her on Twitter @tinafigs_.Contact Justine regarding business inquires only at justinefigueroa@hercampus.com.