This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Our ways of life are constantly changing, and each day, we receive new updates on the status of how COVID-19 is affecting our society. However, one thing stays the same: the importance of social distancing. Moving out of my dorm filled with all my friends, not walking to classes every day, and returning home has been an unexpected adjustment, but it is what is necessary to protect the health of others. Sometimes I find myself sitting around my room and being, well, a little bored. On campus, I never had a moment of downtime, and now, I have so much more that I don’t know what to do with it.

The most important thing is to live each day to the fullest, within reason of course. Below are some activities to partake in if you need something to boost your spirits because to answer the question, yes, it is still possible and important to give your mind the self-care it needs in isolation.

Learn something new.

Pick up a new skill during quarantine or learn more about something you love! Personally, I have always been fascinated with American Sign Language and have wanted to study and learn more about it; however, I was always so busy I put it off to the side. Each day, I try to spend at least 30 minutes learning new signs because it keeps my mind going. I enjoy moving at my own pace and feeling accomplished because I am teaching myself. The possibilities are endless, so find something you are passionate about and dedicate some time to learning about that topic!

Host a movie night for yourself.

At least once a week, I host my own personal movie night in the comfort of my own room. After my busiest day filled with too many assignments to count, I finish my night off by watching movies I either love or have never seen before. Lately I have been watching a lot of comedies from the 90s and of course, Harry Potter! Find a movie, grab some snacks, sit with all the blankets and pillows you can find and relax!

Bake, bake, bake.

My mom and I love to bake brownies, cinnamon rolls, banana bread… this list could go on forever. Look up recipes online or use your own and bake a treat you will truly enjoy. Depending on what you are making, it can take sometimes up to an hour, which can fill a part of your day when you have nothing planned. Plus, it’s not too bad being rewarded with something sweet, right? You could even eat your dessert while you watch your movie!

Make sure your friends are ok.

Call, FaceTime or set up a Zoom call with your friends. I know calling can sometimes be seen as old fashioned, but it is important that you communicate with your friends just like you would at college. Try to have those much-needed long conversations with them once or twice a week, and of course, text or snap them every day. We are all going through this together, so make sure your friends are adjusting well and most importantly, staying safe and healthy.

Fun fact: I called my best friend just a few days ago, and we were on the phone with one another for three hours. I never thought I would have appreciated a conversation so much because I do miss all my friends and I don’t want those relationships to whither away. Tell your friends about what you have been doing in quarantine, how your classes are going, or even tell them about that new Tik Tok dance you learned.

Remember these three things: stay safe, stay healthy, and social distance. We will be together soon, but for now, try to find joy in being home.

Hey there! I'm a college girl majoring in Marketing and minoring in Mass Communications! You can find me scrolling through social media, studying, listening to my Spotify playlists, and obsessing over all things Disney and Harry Styles!
Hey! My name is Leticia and I am the Campus Correspondents here at USF. I am graduating in MAY (omg) with a degree in Advertising and PR. I am originally from Brazil, needless to say, I LOVE the beach and being outside! I enjoy everything from make-up to fitness and sports. In my free time you can find me thrifting, playing photographer, or at home with my hubby binging Netflix.