Save vs Splurge: Valentine’s Edition Based on Love Languages

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Valentine season is finally here, which is the perfect time to spoil your partner with many kisses and gifts. Between college tuition, car insurance, expensive textbooks and going out with friends, budgeting can be tough. Spending money on your loved ones does not have to break your bank. You can make crafts or DIY a gift to save money.

You can also find out your partner’s love language.If the love language quiz is taken correctly, the quiz can provide answers as to how your partner feels loved as well as how they express their love for you.

Love languages are meant to build better relationships, while also understanding yourself and your own love language. There are 5 types of love languages: words of affirmation, acts of service, receiving gifts, quality time and physical touch. You can get a combination of one or more languages as your result.

SAVE: Words of Affirmation

This love language expresses love through verbal communication. Words can mean a lot to people, so for a Valentine gift, try brushing up your artistic skills and write your partner a love song or a poem. Make sure to record it so they can hear your voice or even perform it live. Do not put too much pressure on yourself to sound perfect, and have fun with it! Here are some songs that could feed your inspiration:

SAVE: Acts of Service

Acts of service people feel love by having their loved ones complete simple tasks for them. For a date night, instead of going out to a restaurant, try making your partner his or her favorite meal. Dim the lights, light candles, set the table nicely, throw some rose petals on the floor as a guide to the dinner table and enjoy the night with your favorite drinks.

rose wine
Kaboompics via Pexels

SPLURGE: Receiving Gifts

Just because your partner likes to receive gifts does not mean he or she is materialistic. Small gifts like his or her favorite ice cream or a gifting a new plant can be amazing. But if you want to step it up for Valentines, buy your partner the one thing he or she has been eyeing. If your partner talks about an expensive perfume a lot, buy the perfume for V-Day. Or maybe your partner wants the new Apple watch or a pair of new shoes. It is helpful to always remember what your partner talks about so gifting can be easier.

two pink boxes with bow
Jill Wellington

SPLURGE: Quality Time

If spending time together means the most for your partner, take things to the next level for Valentine’s Day and book a hotel or a trip within your budget. Take your partner somewhere enjoyable for both of you. Quality time is more about the experience than the destination itself. A road trip is also highly recommended if you and your partner both have time and a few days to spare. You can also take this chance to make a killer playlist together your trip.

people standing near cliff during golden hour
Prakash Aryal via Pexels

SAVE: Physical Touch

The title says it all. People whose love language is physical touch express their love through hugs, holding hands and kissing. For V-Day, you could try giving your partner a nice massage with oils and candles. Give them the whole experience by lighting their favorite candle, heating up some oils (make sure it’s safe for body use) and giving them a relaxing massage. Ask them where they feel tense and start with that area. The most important part of this is to be gentle, so communicate through the process and ask if what you are doing feels good (also applicable during your time in the sheets).

holding hands at sunset
Valentin Antonucci via Pexels
It is important to know how your partner responds to your actions of love, and understanding and communication is key. I hope this gave some ideas on what to give your love for Valentine’s and also some ideas on love languages. Now go and give the LOYL (love of your life) everything they deserve!

Anya is a junior studying PR and Advertising with a minor in Studio Arts at USF. She loves everything from makeup, fashion, photography to food and thrifting. She has a huge passion for creative projects and takes any opportunity to express it. She also hopes to work in the fashion industry in the future.
Hey! My name is Leticia and I am the Campus Correspondents here at USF. I am graduating in MAY (omg) with a degree in Advertising and PR. I am originally from Brazil, needless to say, I LOVE the beach and being outside! I enjoy everything from make-up to fitness and sports. In my free time you can find me thrifting, playing photographer, or at home with my hubby binging Netflix.