This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Horror movies have been my favorite entertainment to consume since I began actively watching them in middle school. They take up most of my thoughts, if I am watching a movie it is most likely a horror film, and I am even writing my honors thesis on them. Yeah, you might say I am a little obsessed, and sure, I like to get scared, but that is not why I enjoy them so much.

Photo Courtesy of Amazon

I like to watch horror movies for what they have to say, or communicate through various plot points and cliché tropes. When it comes to representation, horror movies say a lot, and that is sometimes good and other times very, very bad. Photo Courtesy of Amazon

My best example of the crappy stuff this genre can get across to audiences exists in the very recent Netflix release, “Bird Box.” Initially, I thought this was an enjoyable flick about one woman attempting to survive the apocalypse with her two children in tow. After further inspection of the film, one word comes to mind: YIKES.

Charlie (played by Lil Rel Howery) and Tom (played by Trevante Rhodes), the only two black characters in the film, die in the most sacrificial of ways. Charlie flings himself out of a freezer door at someone who had been affected by the invisible monsters. Instead of just helping to close the door, he helps everyone by sacrificing himself. Tom saves our main characters by staying behind and taking out possible threats, which leads to him seeing one of the monsters and shooting himself.

Basically, these characters merely existed to ensure the survival of the predominantly white characters around them.

Photo Courtesy of Wikipedia

We always clamor for representation, and rightfully so, because a lot of media is overwhelmingly revolved around and created by the same cast of characters (again, predominantly white). However, if the representation you choose to include in whatever art you create ends up enforcing damaging tropes about marginalized groups, then leave them out of your art. If you want to comment on these ridiculous tropes (a la “Get Out,” an amazing film) then go right on ahead; open a dialogue. If you are just going to utilize these tropes to advance a plot and get the white characters, unscathed, to the finish line, then maybe scrap the idea altogether. Photo Courtesy of The Ringer

Lizzy is majoring in Creative Writing and will receive her degree in the spring. She loves iced coffee, dachshunds, politics (though not really the climate right now), Harry Styles, vine compilations, and so much more. She can't wait to pursue writing further when she graduates.
Hey! My name is Leticia and I am the Campus Correspondents here at USF. I am graduating in MAY (omg) with a degree in Advertising and PR. I am originally from Brazil, needless to say, I LOVE the beach and being outside! I enjoy everything from make-up to fitness and sports. In my free time you can find me thrifting, playing photographer, or at home with my hubby binging Netflix.