Questions to Ask Yourself While Shopping

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Shopping. Who doesn’t love it? Unfortunately as a college student decisions have to be made on what to purchase- but how does one pick a select few items when we simply *need* everything? I mean that tunic with ostrich feather trim is an absolute must have and will go perfectly with the pair of square toe patent leather booties…..

Being a shopaholic in college is difficult; tuition needs to be paid and therefore every shopping urge cannot be acted upon. There are a questions that help in reducing what is purchased rather than not shopping at all.

1. Do I love this item?If you do not absolutely love it then you will not use it, simple as that.

#2: (more importantly) Do I love this item on me?Sometimes with clothing, just like with a S/O we love the idea of an item and how we would style it rather than how it looks on us.

#3: Do I own something similar?Now this one is tricky. If you already love the item that is similar it may be a good purchase so there are more options, but if you don’t wear the other item often then keep shopping.

#4 Will this item last?If it is love then you would want the item to last for at least 2 years. While it will be more expensive to pay for nicer quality it will pay off down the line. Good pieces that fit well and last long will be worn more often than fast fashion pieces with seems that fall apart.

#5 Is this going to be in season for longer than a season?Unless it is a super deal a here today gone tomorrow style is not necessary.

#6 Am I emotional shopping?This is college after all, stress comes with the territory. Sometimes just going to the mall brings a sense of euphoria that going to the gym just does not bring.

The rush of holding a crisp shopping bag is unmatched but make sure that what is inside the bag will bring that thrill for months to come.

Kalyn Nylander is a Freshman at University of South Florida where she studies Marketing. Her passions include fashion, beauty, old films, music, and the preforming arts. In her free time you will find her shopping, reading, watching fashion shows, running, or creating mood boards. You can find her on twitter @nylander_kalyn.
Sydjea Watson is from the beautiful island of Jamaica. She graduated from the University of South Florida with a bachelor's degree in mass communications. Sydjea has a passion and great appreciation for the arts. She currently works as a freelance photographer while pursuing a photography certification at Rhode Island School of Design.