Pursuing a Global Mindset: Opportunities at USF

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

The University of South Florida has always aspired to being a top tier university. Over the years it has grown and expanded nationally and internationally. USF is gaining a global reputation both inside and outside of the classroom. Not only is it developing as a university, it is also improving the quality of  its students along the way.

“Students will be introduced to global ideas and concepts very early in their undergraduate education,” Nicole West, assistant director of the Global Citizens Project, said.

The Global Citizens Project is part of USF’s Quality Enhancement Plan. Its goal is to help students become more globally minded.

“There are three strategies for the project,” West said. “Globalizing the general education courses, globalizing the degree programs and the Global Citizen Award.”

The plan is for these global pathways to help students make connections between what they are learning in the classroom and global ideas and issues. USF wants to integrate global ideas in to students’ academic careers right from the start.

“In five years we expect 51 percent of the general education courses to have a global focus,” West said.

However, USF isn’t just focusing on its coursework; it is also focusing on the students themselves. One of the three strategies of the project is the Global Citizen Award. This provides students with opportunities to continue their global understanding on a more personal level.

“The goal of the Global Citizen Award is for students to develop self-awareness and knowledge,” West said.

The award is comprised of two parts: eight pre-approved on-campus global events and two globally focused activities. Currently USF has 623 students pursuing the award but only one person has received it so far.

“It feels surreal,” Eliana Lozano, the first recipient of the award, said. “I never imagined that I would be the first student to fulfill the requirements towards completing the award.”

Lozano learned a lot from pursuing the award. She feels lucky to be attending a university that truly offers a global education outside of the classroom. She did not realize how many global events USF held every week.

“My biggest takeaway from the award was realizing that being global does not equate to being abroad,” Lozano said. “Instead it encompasses local and national experiences that pushes individuals to strengthen communities and create culturally rich experiences wherever they find themselves in the world.”

Jaclyn Falconetti, a senior at USF, is currently pursuing the Global Citizen Award. She was already interested in most of the events and programs the award allows you to participate in. Falconetti finds each of the on-campus events eye-opening.

“My favorite memory was attending the West African dance workshop,” Falconetti said. “We got to learn the meaning behind the dance and what West Africa stood for as a culture.”

Falconetti believes that becoming a global citizen is not a destination but a journey. She is constantly learning new things everyday and at each event she attends.

“I can never stop learning,” Falconetti said. “I learned that there is always so much more to learn.”

There are also other incentives for completing the award such as scholarships, recognition at graduation and having it noted on official transcripts. It is also a transformative experience and can lead to new passions and ideas.

“The reward is priceless,” Falconetti said.

West hopes that this project will not only help students become more globally aware but also lead them toward a more meaningful life.

“People are always evolving and developing,” West said. “This could be something that totally changes the trajectory of your life.”

This project creates realistic ideas of being global for students. It gives them the opportunity to pursue USF’s global vision. The award allows them to comprehend and practice being a global citizen in their own lives.

“We are giving students the skills, aptitude, awareness, compassion and interest to care about these huge problems not only affecting our society but the world,” West said.

The Global Citizen Project is just one way of helping students succeed. It helps move the goals of the university forward.

“USF students can gain so much from something like this,” Falconetti said.

I am a junior at the University of South Florida. I am specializing in Public Relations while pursuing certificates in Business and Visualization & Design. I hope to one day combine all of these and pursue law in the entertainment and even branch out to other passions in family law. While I am studying to achieve these dreams, I have furthered my collection of coffee cups and obsession with caffeine. I currently work as a barista and love to whip up new ideas, whether it be actual coffee creations or branding ideas. My other hobbies include enjoying short walks to the movies and my computer. This is usually to catch up on the latest and greatest shows. If it's not film, it is music. I love the thrill of listening to live music of my favorite and new bands. These inspire me to discover my individuality and brand, while challenging myself to help others find theirs.