Culture > News

Pink Wave: How Women Are Taking Over in Midterms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

You have heard the term red wave and blue wave in politics before, but during the 2018 midterms a new term is being thrown around all over the nation: a pink wave. Now that the final states’ primaries have wrapped up the demographics heading into November are more clear. Over 200 women are heading for general elections in November. This is the largest number of women running for office ever.

Women have consistently been underrepresented in the legislature and the current results indicate this may be a shift in the right direction. Over seventy-five percent of women running are running on a progressive platform, while the other twenty-five perfect is running independent or on the republican ticket. With more than 100 women running for state and local office in Florida, it is important to understand what this pink wave is and what it could mean for the nation.

Photo courtesy of Occupy 

What does “Pink Wave” mean?

A pink wave is the term coined to describe the surge of women listed on the ballot in the 2018 midterm elections. Not only are more women running for office, they are winning. In shocking races around the country there have been women beating out their male incumbents for the party nomination. More than quadruple the number of women who ran in 2016 are running in 2018, the most significant increase seen in election history.

Who are these women?

These women are members of both parties, fighting for an array of issues they feel passionately about. From the progressive shock victory of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, the 28-year-old candidate who beat out a long time seat holder in New York, to smaller contenders like Fentrice Driskell running for Florida House District 63, USF’s own district, the women in these elections represent generations of women mobilizing to shift the political landscape.

Photo courtesy of CommonDreams

Why does it matter?

Regardless of party, ideological beliefs or interest in politics, as women we all can agree that we deserve to be better represented in the legislature and policy decisions. In 2017, women made up 24.9% of all members of state legislature and only 19.4% of Congress. This proportion of women in policy making positions is in spite of women making up 51.4% of the 18+ population in the United States.

Photo courtesy of catalyst.org

Having women in positions of change is important to making sure women’s needs are being met. From maternity leave, to equal pay, to equal treatment protections, women’s voices deserve to be heard when making policies which directly affect women. Women’s bodies, well being, and social status are all impacted by the choices made by people with no knowledge of what being a woman in 2018 is truly like.

With the effects of the #MeToo and the current political climate putting the treatment of women into the forefront of society, women all over the country are taking a stand and entering into politics. Make sure you do your part in November and be the change the nation needs.

USF '19
Interests include but are not limited to: art, history, astrology, skin care, the french, politics (yikes), frank ocean, controversy and being extremely overdramatic.