Packing Tips for the Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

‘Tis the season for peppermint mochas, fuzzy sweaters and bright red lipstick; but more importantly, ‘tis the season for spending time with family and friends during the holidays. 

Preparing for holiday traveling can be stressful for many of us. Airports, long lines and packing, oh my! There are so many factors that come into play when it comes to traveling, so wouldn’t it be nice to eliminate one less stressor from your long list of to-do’s? Figuring out what to pack and how much to pack can be overwhelming, so efficiency is key. I am going to give you my favorite packing tips for making your holiday traveling prep fun and easy.

If you don’t own packing cubes already, get ready for a life-changing packing experience. Packing cubes are a great way to organize your clothes, shoes and intimates, and they save more space in your suitcase. I love the eBags packing cubes because they are durable and come in many shapes and sizes. I recommend the Value Set because it comes with a small, medium and large cube, as well as a bag for a pair of shoes.

Here is what I would pack for a week-long trip:

Starting with the small cube, I pack my intimates, such as underwear, socks and bras. I always pack an extra pair of underwear and socks because you just never know when you might need them.

In the medium cube, I pack my pajamas and a couple workout outfits in here. Packing cute workout outfits gives me motivation to hit the gym or go on a run even when I am far away from home.

Now for the large cube: I like to pack a variety of bottoms and tops. My packing tip for everyday outfits would be 4:3:2:1 ratio: four tops, three bottoms, two sweaters and one jacket. I like to mix and match my tops and bottoms. I would recommend checking the weather of your holiday destination and plan your outfits against the forecast. If you follow this rule, you will for sure have enough outfit combinations to look fashionable all week.   

As far as shoes go, I would pack a pair of lightweight and comfortable sneakers and a dressier pair of shoes for those nights of going out on the town. Wear a comfortable pair of sandals for the plane ride, both for comfort and for getting through security quickly.

Toiletries and makeup are a necessity too, but I recommend waiting until the day of the trip pack all of the things you would need. The night before my trip, I like to lay out all the items that I used in the morning and place them directly in my bag right after I use them. That way, I ensure that I packed everything in the correct order. I always place my makeup in my carry on bag because I wouldn’t want to risk losing that $38 setting powder! Just make sure that all your makeup items are under the 3.4 oz TSA limit if you are flying. Soaps and other toiletries go in my checked bag.

I always put an empty and packable duffel bag in my check in suitcase. That way, if you end up going shopping while you’re away on holiday, you can pack all of the things that you bought and use the extra duffel bag as your carry-on bag! This tip has been really helpful in the past because it’s inevitable to come home with a few extra things that we originally did not travel with.

Travel preparations can be made simple by just following these few steps. Trust me, packing cubes will save your life. There is no need for stress and anxiety this holiday season. Focus on the great times that will be spent with family and the memories that will be shared and created.

I am a communication major at the University of South Florida in Tampa. I serve as our chapter's Editor-in Cheif. I am an aspiring fashion merchandiser with a dream to work out of a big city (I am in love with Florence!) My hobbies include ice dancing and anything active, working as a sales associate at Athleta, learning Italian, spending time with my amazing friends and family, and traveling.