Nicole Westbrook, the new Rebecca Black

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Thanksgiving, Thanksgiving, gotta get down on Thanksgiving with Nicole Westbrook. Westbrook is the latest tween YouTube sensation produced by those who brought you Rebecca Black’s “Friday”. The video has instantly gone viral and really gets you in the holiday spirit as she cooks the entire meal for her friends since her family does not exist in her upper class home that she lives in alone- and she is so thankful! In just 2 weeks on YouTube this video has over 10 million views.

The video is produced by Patrice Wilson’s Pato Music World Live (PMW Live). “PMW Live believes that undiscovered talent don’t need a major record deal to launch a career. Undiscovered artists now have an avenue to be self made and for their music to be heard all around the world.” Well, If you’ve seen both Friday and It’s Thanksgiving, I would hope you asked yourself “Who is this man that just appeared?” To answer your curiosity, Wilson of PMW Live is the man who appears in all of the videos who is old and inappropriate for both the scene in the video and the audience in general. At least in this video he is disguised as a giant turkey.

According to Google, Rebecca Black’s Friday reached #1 as the most viewed video worldwide in 2011. Let us all hope that while we are thankful for the humor, this does not occur in 2012 with Westbrook’s Thanksgiving anthem. Any song that has “mashed potatoes” in the lyrics should be questioned. Also, in the beginning of the video Westbrook reminds us of common knowledge we may have forgotten! Black reminded us that Thursday comes before Friday and Westbrook reminds us that Christmas is in December and the new year is in January.

Westbrook is an adorable young girl who has a legitimate singing voice, even as she takes on her Thanksgiving rap in the middle of the video. It is safe to say that most of us dreamt of being a popstar sensation like Black and Westbrook when we were younger, and thanks to PMW live all of these tweens get to live their dreams. Black was a cameo in Katy Perry’s “Last Friday Night” music video. Along with “It’s Thanksgiving” getting You Tube hits, the reaction videos and parodies appeared shortly after.

Carlie Craig, a Film Student at Florida State University, has her own You Tube channel and made a spot-on parody of Westbrook’s video, poking fun at everything that should be poked fun at. “I made the video because witnessing Patrice Wilson exploit another tween after Friday, I knew we were all thinking the same thing, why do these girls do this?” said Craig. Craig portrays a spoiled tween who was bought a music video. This must see parody can be viewed at http://www.youtube.com/user/CA…. Craig gives credit to INSANEINTHERAIN for the music and Nicole Westbrook for inspiration. Craig directed edited and wrote the lyrics herself and had the video filmed by her younger brother, Taylor Craig.  “I went ahead and put into lyrics what we were all thinking while watching Nicole sing into a turkey leg.” added Craig. The parody currently has over 1000 viewss.

So while Rebecca Black is most likely not thankful for Westbrook’s video, we should all be thankful for PMW live and the minutes we spend watching these videos. As Westbrook sings in the video, “Can’t be hateful, gotta be grateful.”

Photo Source: http://cdn.idolator.com/wp-con…

From Her Campus U. South Florida to Her Campus Nationals. Lover of spinning, food pics, and overall happy moments. Also a Britney Spears loyalist. You can follow Danielle's adventures on Twitter @dkushner_ and Instagram @deekush.
Ashley is a Chapter Advisor and currently living in Brooklyn, New York.