Need Help with Your GPA Goals?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Collegiettes™, we all reach a point in the semester when everything seems to be going downhill, and that’s putting it lightly. It’s a few weeks after midterms and before you know it, it’s time to start studying for finals even though you could’ve sworn that you had plenty of time. So there you are, calmly trying to gracefully deny the reality of finals week coming up, when you’re reminded of your favorite 3 letter acronym – GPA.

You check where you stand with your grades, and you calculate what you need to get that GPA that you promised yourself at the beginning of your college career. After spending the time you could be studying working out the fate of your grades, you’ve convinced yourself you’ve reached a point of no return, and you just decide to curl up in bed and keep on binge watching your go-to show on Netflix.

Get up, love. You can do it.

I may be asking for what seems like the impossible to you right now. Everyone’s allowed to have their moments of weakness, even fabulous women such as ourselves. However, after these moments, we can rise above and tackle our goal. Mission: save the GPA.

1. Put your wonderful mind to it

Reaching any goal begins with the proper mindset. Remind yourself that some things get better before they get worse, and with a little effort it can all be worth it in the end.

2. Plan and prioritize

Plan out your days building up to finals week and prioritize the subjects which require a bit more effort. Then, go on to study the subjects which you enjoy more or are more apt at. Think of it as rewarding yourself for pushing through the sometimes grueling process of studying Chemistry or whichever subject is your kryptonite.

3. BELIEVE IN YOURSELF

So much of this mission requires that and having the self-efficacy when one theory, concept or problem seems to have you convinced that you aren’t cut out for college (let’s face it, we’ve all had those moments).

A lot of times, going through this takes a bit of sacrifice: watching less episodes of that Netflix show (oh the horror), spending less time in the common area with your floormates, and a few less hours of sleep. Despite this, don’t convince yourself that a week of seclusion and all nighters is the key to success. Fear not, you can watch an episode in between studying as a break. The key is knowing when to go back to studying and working on that goal.

And remember, your goals are yours. We all strive for different things – for some that might be achieving a 3.5, for others, a 3.8. Either way, you decide your path and you know what you need for yourself. That being said, continue to strive and you’ll amaze yourself with what you can achieve. And of course, after finals week, take one long nap because heaven knows you’ve earned it.

Second year junior. Environmental Science and Policy major. More of a feminist each day.
Lover of all things Disney, Star Wars, Marvel, Harry Potter and fashion. Junior. Mass Communication major. Disney Cast member. Aspiring writer.