This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

If you are in a long-distance relationship, major kudos to you. It is not easy. Take it from someone who is in one herself. Not being able to see your partner is incredibly taxing, and can be hard to navigate, especially at the start. Here are some tips to get you past that first bump and into smooth sailing, without the detours.

Prioritize your Needs

Make sure you are not settling for a relationship where your needs are not being fulfilled.  That means communication. Lots of it. If you want something from your partner, you have to relay it to them. Much of the time, people in long distance relationships (including me) overthink the slightest issues and assume their partner can read their mind. This is not the case, and the only way to truly get what you want out of the relationship is to convey your emotions and thoughts. Whether that be FaceTime dates, daily check-ins, or something else, it is essential to make your partner aware. 

Assure and Trust your Partner

It is so important to make sure you and your partner are keeping the spark alive. Compliment them, ask about their day, and most importantly, trust them. Getting into a long-distance relationship can be a gamble, but with trust, it becomes easier. Set times to talk to each other, and always be there for the other one to vent to and confide in.

Always Schedule The Next Visit

Something that is so important to me, personally, in a long-distance relationship is when we are going to see each other next. This adds a sense of security to the relationship, a topic of conversation, and something to look forward to in the future. Scheduling the next visit allows for the two of you to be excited for your next meeting, and I feel it also makes time go by faster. However, sometimes expenses can be a determining factor of how often you will see each other. If this is the case, make sure you are still setting time aside for FaceTime dates, surprising each other with packages, etc. If you ever doubt your abilities to continue with long distance, just remember that it is true what they say…distance does, in fact, make the heart grow fonder. But it definitely does not hurt to know for certain when the next time you’re seeing each other is.  

Have Faith

With long distance, there is always doubt. The most important quality to possess in a long-distance relationship is confidence that it will be okay and all works out in the end. All relationships have ups and downs, but your mentality is what makes all the difference. Trust the process, trust your partner, and most of all, trust yourself! You’ve got this!

Hi!! My name is Sarika and I attend USF!! I love writing about mental health awareness, fashion, relationships, and anything else I find important or interesting!! I hope u enjoy my articles:) <3