This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Abel Tesfaye, who is widely known as The Weeknd, released a new album, titled “My Dear Melancholy,” on March 30 and everyone has taken to the internet to share their ideas of who the songs on this new album are about. Between his supermodel ex-girlfriend, Bella Hadid and his most recent ex-girlfriend and former Disney star, Selena Gomez, everyone’s trying to piece together whether Tesfaye is singing about Hadid or Gomez.

Another aspect people are buzzing is that the vibe of “My Dear Melancholy,” is similar to the albums he released prior to his 2016 album, “Starboy,” which had more of a pop-vibe. He, seemingly, took an artistic liberty in 2016 with “Starboy” to explore genres beyond the R&B feel he had previously been producing.

Photo: Wikimedia Commons

Before “Starboy,” his music had a slow and sad vibe to it, or for the sake of an opportunity to be witty, melancholy. Personally, I enjoyed that melancholy feel more than the upbeat pop-style of songs that were featured on “Starboy”—it fit his voice style better. That being said, through websites such as Twitter, I’m finding that many of his other fans have that same opinion. With “My Dear Melancholy,” he went back to the style we were used to hearing from him.

There is one specific lyric people are relating to his most recently relationship with Gomez, due to the fact that she recently had a kidney transplant. Many know that Gomez’s friend, Francia Raisa, donated a kidney to her, which occurred during this same time Gomez was in a relationship with Tesfaye. The first song on the album, “Call Out My Name,” features the following lyric.

“I said I didn’t feel nothing, baby, but I lied. I almost cut a piece of myself for your life.”

Tesfaye has yet to confirm if he may have been prepared to donate a kidney to his girlfriend of the time or if the lyric is in relation to the situation. There are other lines from the album some think may relate to his other ex, Hadid.

We may never know who the album is about or if it may possibly consist of songs written about both women, but the only thing I can say for sure is, whichever heartbreaker inspired this beautiful album, I thank you. I missed The “Melancholy” Weeknd.

Photo: Flickr

His new album, comprised of only six songs, really stirred people up on social media. As of April 2, all six of the songs were within the top ten searched songs on Genius, a website that provides lyrics, meanings and overall information about songs. It’s safe to say that everyone is dying to know who and what these beautifully-sad songs are about.

I am a mass comm/print journalism major at The University of South Florida with a sociology minor expecting to graduate in May of 2020. I am an activist, ally, womanist, coffee enthusiast, ravenclaw and an aquarius. 
Interests include but are not limited to: art, history, astrology, skin care, the french, politics (yikes), frank ocean, controversy and being extremely overdramatic.