MUSIC MONDAY: #TeamROAR vs. #TeamAPPLAUSE

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

With two new singles released from some of our favorite pop artists, Katy Perry and Lady Gaga, which song do you think will be your theme song for the first week of school? The songs have been competing, but both inspiring tunes remind us to take a stand and make a scene.

Are you team Roar by Katy Perry? If you’re a person that’s always kept to themself, but now you’re ready to make a stand – this song is for you. Anyone who had a rocky end to a summer fling or some bad drama over the summer, Roar is a great reminder that they can pick themselves up and be amazing. Even if you just need some motivation to push through that first homework assignment, this song defiantly has what you need to make you feel empowered. The emoticon music video is tacky in a cute sort of way as it shows us the lyrics with emoticon fill ins. Plus, we can’t help but love Katy’s sweet affection for her kitty at the end of the video.   

Maybe you’ve always had a little bit of a wild side and you’re more team Applause  for Gaga’s new single. This song is just as wild as she is — and the music video is even wilder. It is defiantly a song that can get you motivated to do something to make yourself stand out, especially if you’re as crazy about the applause as she is. This is a great song to play while you’re getting dolled up to go out and you want the inspiration to look stunning. It has some great beats that make you want to jump around and dance, or at least bob your head and tap the desk in front of you.

So who do you choose, or can you even choose at all? Overall it seems like Katy Perry’s new hit was the winner of the two. According to National Post, “Perry’s new single, Roar, sold 557,000 digital copies, more than twice as many as Lady Gaga’s Applause, which sold 218,000 digital downloads.”

We can’t thank these two artists enough for giving us some awesome music to get our school year started with. We have long awaited new music from both artists and we can only hope that when the rest of these albums are released they are as incredible as the singles.

According to Billboard, Katy Perry’s next single Dark Horse will be released on September 17 from her new album, Prism which is expected to be released on October 22. Lady Gaga’s new album Artpop is expected to be released November 11 and there has been no word on the release of another single, but there has been a demo leak of the song Burqa – Aura.

Happy listening to all of the KatyCats and Little Monsters on campus!   

Photo Links:      

http://www.billboard.com/files/styles/promo_650/public/media/katy-perry-prism-lady-gaga-artpop-650-430.jpg

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00063092.html

http://ladygaga.wikia.com/wiki/Applause_(song)

I am an editorial writer for Her Campus USF!
Justine is a recent graduate of the University of South Florida. She received her B.A. in mass communcations in spring 2014. She was the 2013-2014 Campus Correspondent for Her Campus USF.She was also a News & Feature Writing Intern for College of Arts and Sciences and the Public Relations Campus Rep for Rent the Runway at USF. She is currently seeking agency experience and would love to someday work for a magazine, become a novelist, poet, editor, host of a Travel Channel show and much more.  She enjoys writing about fashion, beauty, art, literature, pop culture and student life. She spends most days listening to Lana del Rey, calming her nerves with various types of cheese, being sassy and trying to figure out when she can take a nap.Check out her website and portfolio here.She'd love you forever, if you followed her on Twitter @tinafigs_.Contact Justine regarding business inquires only at justinefigueroa@hercampus.com.