Music Monday: Songs That Describe Being A 20-Something

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Music is a powerful tool. It expresses thoughts, feeling and emotions, allowing listeners to relate to them. We can find songs that talk about all kinds of situations. Many songs, from the old days to today, have done a great job at describing what life is like as a 20-something.

As an in-between stage – no longer a kid or teen, but not an established adult yet – the 20’s are filled with some unique life situations: some difficult, some amazing, beautiful and life-changing.

Collegiettes™, here are some songs that I’m sure you’ll be able to relate to as a 20-something!

1. Forever Young – Rod Stewart

Even though this song was released in 1988, it still can speak to today’s youth. We all want to be forever young, don’t we?

2. Love is a Battlefield – Pat Benatar

If there is one lesson we all learn in our 20’s its that “love is a battlefield”!

3. Girls Just Want To Have Fun – Cyndi Lauper

Yes, in our 20’s we get serious jobs, learn how to dress professionally, and may even present a master’s degree thesis, but truth be told at the end of the day, we still just want to have fun!

4. I’ll Be There For You – The Rembrandts

The beloved “Friend’s” theme song couldn’t have described the 20’s any better!

5. 22 – Taylor Swift

Feeling happy, confused, lonely and excited all at the same time is what being in our 20’s is all about!

6. We Are Young – Fun

We all have had that moment of wanting “to set the world on fire” (metaphorically speaking, of course) in our 20’s.

The 20’s won’t last forever, so make this decade an amazing one! Have fun, learn, mature, make mistakes, feel your emotions deeply and give your all in what you’re passionate about. Although we won’t be forever young in age, we can be forever young at heart!

Photo Sources:

http://elitedaily.com/dating/stages-of-being-a-20-something-single-woman…

https://www.flickr.com/photos/underscore_ian/7178947668/

Lover of all things Disney, Star Wars, Marvel, Harry Potter and fashion. Junior. Mass Communication major. Disney Cast member. Aspiring writer.