This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

We all love her. We all have heard of her. There was even a movie about her life that people talked about for month. From her first hit “I kissed a girl” to her latest top 40 song “Dark Horse”, Katy Perry is becoming an even stronger and more talented woman every day.

Her last album Prism was released October 22, 2013 and several songs have been played on the radio daily ever since. The album consists of 16 songs and has been rated four out of five stars on iTunes. In an interview with Ellen Degeneres, Perry says that this album was different from her last because it shows another side brought out by all the things she has been through. She initially expected to make a dark record, but instead went a more positive route. This album really shows a strong and bright side to Perry. She named the album Prism for this reason.

This pop singer and artist has performed songs from this album at some remarkable venues this past year alone. She creatively performed “Roar” in New York City at the Video Music Awards last August and “Dark Horse” at the Grammy’s in January.

She was flawless in both these performances and her strength shined through every single minute.

Katy Perry may be a cute pop singer but he definitely has a corky side to her. This album in particular is not so corky; it is more down to her earth and light. Her songs in Prism are mostly about taking everything in life and making it better than it can possibly. She is speaking through these lyrics and telling the world that even though tough times come along it is important to stay positive.

One tough situation she recently went through was her relationship with Russell Brand. A couple that seemed to match perfectly and started off being best friends left Perry in heartbreak. She pulled through this tough time and went above and beyond her earlier work.

Katy Perry and Russell Brand were married for 14 months until December of 2011. The divorce brought her into a dark place for quite some time until she decided that there is more to life that heartbreak. It is safe to say that this event in her life gave changed her life but in a positive way ad she made millions off the album Prism.

Katy Perry has been awarded “Woman of the Year” at the Elle Style Awards in February. This award made her even more inspiring to her fans. Perry is a great example of women empowerment. She displays all the appropriate qualities as she follows her dreams, and fights through the rough patches like a trouper. It is easy to see that she is not easily brought down by harsh or hateful words.

Her songs are catchy and uplifting, which everyone needs at some point. If you are not a big Katy Perry fan I hope you are willing to hear some of her best work. You can buy her full album on iTunes and have positive vibes for days.

Photo sources:

katyperryprismtour.wordpress.com

www.nydailynews.com

Ashley Harnish is an Alumna of the University of South Florida. She graduated May of 2016 with her Bachelors in Dance Studies and minor in mass communications. Ashley is a former Editor's Assistant for Her Campus at USF. Even though she has be dancing since was just three years young, she loves it more everyday. Writing is another passion of hers, especially on her blog http://ashleycamille24.wordpress.com/. Her favorite show is F.R.I.E.N.D.S and one day she hopes to travel the entire world while writing about her experiences in each dance community.
Justine is a recent graduate of the University of South Florida. She received her B.A. in mass communcations in spring 2014. She was the 2013-2014 Campus Correspondent for Her Campus USF.She was also a News & Feature Writing Intern for College of Arts and Sciences and the Public Relations Campus Rep for Rent the Runway at USF. She is currently seeking agency experience and would love to someday work for a magazine, become a novelist, poet, editor, host of a Travel Channel show and much more.  She enjoys writing about fashion, beauty, art, literature, pop culture and student life. She spends most days listening to Lana del Rey, calming her nerves with various types of cheese, being sassy and trying to figure out when she can take a nap.Check out her website and portfolio here.She'd love you forever, if you followed her on Twitter @tinafigs_.Contact Justine regarding business inquires only at justinefigueroa@hercampus.com.