This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

One of the biggest boybands has taken the world by storm: One Direction!

One Direction, Louis Tomlinson, Liam Payne, Niall Horan, Zayn Malik and Harry Styles have all become household names. From young girls to teens to 20-somethings to adults to the older generation, there’s not one person who doesn’t know the name One Direction.

After auditioning as solo artists on the United Kingdom version of “The X Factor,” and going through to the bootcamp stage, the boys soon saw their dreams slip away as their names were not called to continue on to the live shows. Seeing the talent each boy had, the show’s creator, Simon Cowell, called the boys back into the studio where they were put together to form a boy band group called One Direction. Excited with their seond chance opportunity, these boys started giving it there all in the live shows. They soon became fan favorites, especially amongst the ladies and One Direction was all but guaranteed to take it all, but, alas, they finished third in the competition. If only they knew then that that was just the beginning.

While saying their farewells to the show, Malik told the crowd and viewers, “We’re definitely going to stay together; this isn’t the last of One Direction.”

Cowell added, “…This is just the beginning for these boys.”

And how right they were. The world hasn’t seen the last of them after being signed to Syco Entertainment. The guys have since sold out arenas and stadiums, won many awards in numerous countries, reached top spots in the music charts worldwide, appeared on various television shows, had their faces on countless merchandise, became advocates for charities, written books and premiered their This Is Us3D-documentary. They are downright talented guys. One Direction tackled it all and they continue to do so.

One Direction released their first album, Up All Night on Nov. 18, 2011. It was the UK’s fastest-selling album of the year. Word spread quickly of the boyband with the help of social networking sites. The album was soon brought to the States on March 13, 2012. They became the first UK band tohit No. 1 on the Billboard charts, taking them to the top of the ones-to-watch list.

Next, One Direction decided to set out on their Up All Night tour in the UK. Shortly after, Australian dates were released. After opening up for American boyband, Big Time Rush, a North American leg of the U.A.N. tour was announced. Wrapping up with that, One Direction prepared for their second album release.

On Nov. 12, 2012, their Take Me Home album hit store shelves in the UK and then on Nov. 13, 2012 in America. It topped the charts in over 35 countries.

The band also revealed they were heading out on a second tour, the Take Me Home tour. Due to high demand, additional dates were added to multiple arenas. Even after performing over 100 shows all around the world, One Direction did not slow down.

Their third and latest album, Midnight Memories was released worldwide on Nov. 25, 2013. It has become the band’s third No. 1 album in America and has made music history. The album became the fastest-selling album in the UK for 2013. Top hit “Story of My Life,” made many quick fans of the new sound and direction the band took with the new album. People couldn’t help but like their music after hearing them perform live on “Saturday Night Live”for the second time on Dec. 7, 2013. The guys in my family agree that their new sound is catchy and infectious. Even though some don’t want to admit it, they’ve definitely caught the One Direction infection.

This English-Irish band is nowhere near ending. In the coming months, they will be off on their next adventure: the Where We Are stadium tour. Not only did the tour quickly sell out in Europe, as expected, it also sold out in places they haven’t even visited yet, like in Latin America.

Fans adopted this phrase as describing One Direction: The band who lost The X Factor, but won the world.

There’s no doubt the guys of One Direction captured hearts from all around (including mine!). They’ve taken over and they’re not going away any time soon.

Photo Source:

·         http://www.onedirection.net/wow-one-direction-announce-enormous-stadium-tour-for-2014/

Justine is a recent graduate of the University of South Florida. She received her B.A. in mass communcations in spring 2014. She was the 2013-2014 Campus Correspondent for Her Campus USF.She was also a News & Feature Writing Intern for College of Arts and Sciences and the Public Relations Campus Rep for Rent the Runway at USF. She is currently seeking agency experience and would love to someday work for a magazine, become a novelist, poet, editor, host of a Travel Channel show and much more.  She enjoys writing about fashion, beauty, art, literature, pop culture and student life. She spends most days listening to Lana del Rey, calming her nerves with various types of cheese, being sassy and trying to figure out when she can take a nap.Check out her website and portfolio here.She'd love you forever, if you followed her on Twitter @tinafigs_.Contact Justine regarding business inquires only at justinefigueroa@hercampus.com.