MUSIC MONDAY: Mojo Books and Music

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

School’s back in session and if, like me, the pile of homework on your desk keeps magically multiplying in your sleep, you can barely find the time to shave your legs in the shower, and you think of coffee as an acceptable substitute to breakfast, lunch, and/or dinner, fear not: you can mix business and pleasure and enjoy an afternoon of reading, relaxation and awesome music at Mojo Books and Music.

Located at 2540 E. Fowler Avenue, just east of the University Square Mall, Mojo is Tampa’s largest used book and record store. That’s right: awesome deals on anything, from books, CDs, DVDs, videogames and records. Classic rock, alternative, punk, metal, jazz, folk, reggae and R&B are only a few of the music genres you will find and (for the amateur record collectors) there are also a couple of record players on sale at pretty good prices.

Mojo also carries a wide selection of books. Classic literature (great for English literature majors), sci-fi and fantasy (great for any aspiring writer of young adult fiction), graphic novels, current bestsellers and works by some of the best beat and counterculture authors you’ll ever find for low prices.

Before you click “place order” on the University Bookstore website, you should definitely stop by: most of the items are either used or, if new, at a discount price. Even if you don’t find anything to buy, you can always bring your own books and music to sell and/or trade.

What’s really great and unique about this store is its personality: you can feel it even before you walk through the door. You can tell that the people who work there are passionate about books and music. It’s also a great place to meet new people with common interests. They have something for everyone, no matter how unusual or hard to find. With endless aisles of books and records, the only possible downside is wanting to buy the entire store!

Whether you love music, books, films, videogames or coffee, Mojo is a must on your “Cool spots near USF” list. It’s open seven days a week, and you can take the D route on the USF Bull Runner to get there if you don’t drive. You can learn more about Mojo’s deals on their website.

Ashley is a Chapter Advisor and currently living in Brooklyn, New York.