This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Little Mix are climbing to the top, becoming the biggest girl group around the world!

Jesy Nelson, 22, Perrie Edwards, 20, Jade Thirlwall, 21, and Leigh-Anne Pinnock, 22, auditioned for the United Kingdom version of “The X Factor” as individual performers. After not making it through as solo artists, the girls were put together to form a group. Former Destiny’s Child singer, Kelly Rowland, was a part of the process. Until this day, the young women still claim they were placed together because of their height similarities.

They were first formed with the name Rhythmix, but soon found out that name was already taken, so alas, Little Mix was born. In 2011, after eight seasons of the competition show, Little Mix became the first group to win the UK’s “The X Factor.” Their winning single was Damien Rice’s “Cannonball.”

The women of Little Mix then set out to release their debut album, DNA, in November 2012. It hit top spots in the music charts. After slowly making a name for themselves across the sea, Little Mix set out to promote their music in the U.S. DNA was released to America in May 2013 and was awarded the No. 4 spot on the Billboard charts for the highest charting album in its first week from a UK girl group. They passed the Spice Girls, who held the record at No. 6 on the charts for their album, Spice, on its first week.

After DNA’s release in America, Little Mix held a Mixers Magnets competition to visit fans, who they call Mixers, all around the world to promote the album. After the success of Mixers Magnets, they held another set of competitions, this time for the U.S. The winning state received a mini concert from the ladies, as well as an album signing (though they did hold album signings in other states, too). To my luck, Florida won the competition and even better, the mini concert and signing was held at a mall I shopped at. After waiting six hours in the blazing sun (and then a bizarre rainstorm) to meet the girls, I finally got my autographs. Needless to say, it was one of the best days of my life. The girls made sure to visit as many Mixers as possible during their stay in the states.

Known for not worrying about what others think of what they wear and for expressing themselves through fashion, the women of Little Mix released their own nail and makeup line, and teamed up with Schwarzkopf’s hair color line. They have also won their first award, the Cosmopolitan Ultimate Women of the Year Award in December 2013. Recently, Little Mix partnered with a UK charity, Sports Relief, and released a cover single of Cameo’s “Word Up.” All proceeds from the song purchases go toward the fund.

Little Mix have always told their fans to never be ashamed of who they are. They don’t want people being brought down by negativity. They want their Mixers to go out into the world and be their own person. Little Mix continue to spread this message through their song lyrics, such as in “Change Your Life,” “Little Me” and “Wings.”

Little Mix recently released their second album, Salute, in America on Feb. 4.  If Salute keeps up with its sales, the ladies of Little Mix could find their second album debut in the top 5 of America’s music charts.

After the DNA release in 2013, Little Mix toured around Europe. Beginning this month, they will be joining Demi Lovato on her “The Neon Lights Tour.” They’ve released a second competition, Salute Tour Reporter for a chance to meet the band, as well as meet-and-greets with every album purchased through their website. This means I’ll be meeting them again! Little Mix will gain more recognition for touring all over America. If Salute continues to do well, America could be looking at a future Little Mix tour (crosses fingers, toes and everything else!)

With infectious songs, catchy beats, powerful harmonies, and vocals that will blow your mind, Little Mix will have you singing and dancing along each time. And if you haven’t heard of Little Mix, I highly recommend you look them up now- You won’t regret it!

Photo Source:

http://little-mix.org/gallery/displayimage.php?album=717&pid=21279#top_display_media

Justine is a recent graduate of the University of South Florida. She received her B.A. in mass communcations in spring 2014. She was the 2013-2014 Campus Correspondent for Her Campus USF.She was also a News & Feature Writing Intern for College of Arts and Sciences and the Public Relations Campus Rep for Rent the Runway at USF. She is currently seeking agency experience and would love to someday work for a magazine, become a novelist, poet, editor, host of a Travel Channel show and much more.  She enjoys writing about fashion, beauty, art, literature, pop culture and student life. She spends most days listening to Lana del Rey, calming her nerves with various types of cheese, being sassy and trying to figure out when she can take a nap.Check out her website and portfolio here.She'd love you forever, if you followed her on Twitter @tinafigs_.Contact Justine regarding business inquires only at justinefigueroa@hercampus.com.