This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

The queen of pop is currently in the spotlight upon releasing her 8th album, Britney Jean late November. What you may have missed over the winter break (unless you are a committed player on #teambritney), was the airing of Britney’s documentary I Am Britney Jean on E!, along with the opening of her two-year Las Vegas residency tour, ‘Piece of Me’, at Planet Hollywood.

In her recent documentary, Britney opened up about the future while looking back at the past. In the documentary Britney shared, “Pressure is a funny thing. Sometimes I tend to go inward when I’m under pressure.”

Undoubtedly, our beloved Brit is under a lot of pressure. However, at the end of the day she has a solid fan base and we should give credit to the 32-year-old popstar who continues to make music because she wants to. Vegas trip anyone?

If you have not listened to Britney Jean yet, you definitely should! Here is my recap.

1. Alien 

Favorite lyrics: “But the stars in the sky look like home, take me home. And the light in your eyes lets me know I’m not alone.”

This song is very special to Britney, as she makes obvious in the documentary when she continuously brings up the idea to put it in the show. The song illustrates the feeling of being alienated and alone, which we have all felt at some point in our lives. I imagine this song being sung by the same Hollywood starlet in Brit’s hit song from 2000, Lucky.

2. Work B**ch

Favorite lyrics: Bring it on. Ring the alarm. Don’t stop now, just be the champion.

Work it hard like it’s your profession. Watch out now, ’cause here it comes.

If you’ve heard any song from this album, this is most likely the one. This is the perfect anthem to get you out of bed and working hard. Britney reminds us that good things don’t just come to those who wait, they come to those who work! Put this as your alarm clock, on your workout playlist, etc. Click here for the music video.

3. Perfume

Favorite lyrics: Have you been thinking ’bout her or about me? And while I wait I put on my perfume, yeah, I want it all over you. I’m gonna mark my territory.”

I’ll admit that I was confused about whether this was a new song or an ad for her iconic perfume collection. Either way, it is incredibly catchy. The song tells the story of a girlfriend aware of her boyfriend being unfaithful and the emotions that go along with it. You go Britney – and whoever that girl is she does not deserve to wear your perfume. Click here for the music video.  

4. It Should Be Easy (ft. will.i.am)

Favorite lyrics: Yes, you bring me sin. You make me feel like a million, billion

I’ll let you in but don’t you break my heart, don’t you bring me apart.

How many times do we question why relationships have to be so complicated? Either he likes you or he doesn’t. It can be frustrating when *shameless Mean Girls quote* “you may think you like someone, but you could be wrong.” This song tells it all with will.i.am, who also collaborated on Scream and Shout.

5. Tik Tik Boom (ft. T.I.)

Favorite lyircs: “Hush, please no more games, no more of the same thing.”

In my opinion, this the most catchy song on the entire album – and also the one that brings out Brit’s ‘Slave 4 U’ side. This song reminds us that Britney is the queen of pop, and that ladies – we deserve to get what we want sometimes. As previous Britney lyrics tell us: Boys, sometimes a girl just needs one.

6.  Body Ache

Favorite lyrics:  “I know you feel my fire, throw you into my flames. Tonight we take it higher. What I got, ain’t no game.”

“I wanna dance till my body ache” she says, making this the perfect song to get ready for a night out with your girls. This instrumentals in this song will really get you dancing, and I challenge you to listen to this song without engaging in some type of movement. Also very catchy.

7. Til It’s Gone

Favorite lyrics: “I’m blind from the tears that fall like rain, so lost ever since you went away. Sometimes our lives forever change, my heart’s never gonna be the same.”

Who is this song about?! I’m still holding on to my dreams of a rekindling flame with JT. If you’ve been through a break-up, you can understand the pain that comes from memories and past moments you took for granted. However this song relates to you, just remember to live in every moment without letting the past hold you back.

8. Passenger 

Favorite lyrics: “So let’s take a walk and get lost. Let’s take a chance on finding us.

I wanna see the world with you, every step feels so brand new.”

I relate to this song the most out of all the others. I find myself wanting to have control of everything, and after the ending of a past relationship, I was nervous to ever let someone back in. This song gives great advice, that you should not be afraid to accept trust. (But always have a spare before you hand over the keys!).

9. Chillin’ with You (ft. Jamie Lynn)

Favorite lyrics: I sang so loud that I smiled. I made it worth my while.”

That’s right, featuring Brit’s sister, Jamie Lynn Spears. We could only hope for a continuation of “Zoey101” with this as the theme song.  Listening to the sisters sing together is a refreshing addition to the album. Their voices are similar and the song has a very bubblegum pop feel, and could have definitely been on the …Baby One More Time album. Who would you dedicate this cheesy-yet-addicting song to?

10. Don’t Cry

Favorite lyrics: “This is gonna be our last goodbye. Our love is gone, but I’ll survive.”

When you go through a fight with your best friend, a break up, etc.  let this song get you through it.  Brit is empowering us to not let others see us cry, and to not stay and watch others cry. Instead, show strength and know that you can survive anything. This is basically the sequel to Stronger. I’ll add in my opinion though that it is okay to cry, as long as you make up for it by giving yourself what you deserve!

The following are on the deluxe addition:

11. Brightest Morning Star

Favorite lyrics: You are the light of my beautiful life. I can never let go, you’re my brightest morning star.”

This simple piece brings out a sweet and honest side of Britney. She could be singing out about her faith, new boyfriend, family, committed fans or a combination of them all! Take the time to thank that one person who leads the way when things get dark because we all have a beautiful life.

12. Hold On Tight
Favorite lyrics: “And when it’s all the thunder and rain, the cinema is fading away. I gotta make my way through the night, holding on with all of my might.”

If there is anything we know that Brit can do it’s her ability to hold on tight. In the song she refers to a “he”, who visits her in her dreams and makes her feel so at ease. Perhaps this is a reference to her faith or someone who reminds her of her past. The song has a deep message, making it valuable to the deluxe addition.

13. Now That I Found You 

Favorite lyrics: “On a shameless night in a nameless place, I thought that love was a hopeless case ‘til I found you.”

What starts out as an acoustic-esque melody drops to a dream-like techno beat that is undeniably catchy. There’s also some country-style beats that would make this a great song for a round of do-se-do, perhaps inspired by her Louisiana roots? Whatever the inspiration, it’s a great sing-along.

14. Perfume (The Dreaming Mix)

Favorite lyrics: Refer to Perfume above!

Not surprising that she would throw in a remix! I would have loved to see a mix of Work B**ch and Tik Tik, but this does have a relaxing and well assumed “dreamy” additive to it. 

Which song is your favorite?!

From Her Campus U. South Florida to Her Campus Nationals. Lover of spinning, food pics, and overall happy moments. Also a Britney Spears loyalist. You can follow Danielle's adventures on Twitter @dkushner_ and Instagram @deekush.
Justine is a recent graduate of the University of South Florida. She received her B.A. in mass communcations in spring 2014. She was the 2013-2014 Campus Correspondent for Her Campus USF.She was also a News & Feature Writing Intern for College of Arts and Sciences and the Public Relations Campus Rep for Rent the Runway at USF. She is currently seeking agency experience and would love to someday work for a magazine, become a novelist, poet, editor, host of a Travel Channel show and much more.  She enjoys writing about fashion, beauty, art, literature, pop culture and student life. She spends most days listening to Lana del Rey, calming her nerves with various types of cheese, being sassy and trying to figure out when she can take a nap.Check out her website and portfolio here.She'd love you forever, if you followed her on Twitter @tinafigs_.Contact Justine regarding business inquires only at justinefigueroa@hercampus.com.