This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Betty Who is an Australian singer/songwriter known for her bold, dance-pop sound and catchy, relatable lyrics. This well-traveled, blonde songstress played the cello at age 4 and after venturing into song writing in her early teens, she just hasn’t stopped. Her new single, “Somebody Loves You” just dropped this week and is available for download below. Her Campus USF sat down to get to know this up and coming star, so check out the interview below.

How did you know that you wanted to be involved in the music industry? “I knew I needed to do this for the rest of my life because I couldn’t really see myself doing anything else.  Even when I was a youngin’, I sang my heart out into my hair brush and danced in front of the mirror for hours on end.”

What is your dream tour line up? “I would do anything to open up for Katy Perry or Foster the People (and I mean anything).  Mark Foster is my musical soul mate.  But honestly, I’d love to just be on the road.  I’m so looking forward to my first big tour.”

What artists inspired you the most growing up and who inspires you musically today? “Growing up I listened to N’Sync and Britney on repeat. Anything written by Max Martin was my ish. That and of course Michael Jackson. I just recently rediscovered his song “You Rock My World” and have been jammi’ pretty hard. Today I love Foster the People and Katy Perry (big surprise), Timbaland, Animal Flag, Kayne… the list goes on. Also I respect the hell out of Rihanna because that girl has not taken a break since she was 16 and I’m loving her new song “Phresh Out the Runway.”

What or who influences your personal style the most? “I’m loving everything that’s coming out of Tokyo right now.  They’re so fashion forward and adventurous with their style, I want to visit more than anything.”

What is the most important theme that you try to convey through your music? “If I could make someone forget about everything that’s going wrong in their life for 3 minutes and 30 seconds so they could dance their face off and feel good and be transported to another place and time, I’d call that a job well done.” 

“If you weren’t pursuing music, what do you think you would be doing today?” “Probably living in a cardboard box with a sign that said “will sing for food”.”

Your song “Fire With Fire” combines a fun dance beat with really empowering lyrics. How did you decide on that juxtapostion and is that a dynamic that you like play with in all of your music? “Oh absolutely.  I started out writing as a singer/songwriter so lyrics were really important to me.  When I started to get more into indie pop, I didn’t want to lose that.  I’m a storyteller first, and a performer second.”

What advice do you have for aspiring singers? “I think the most useful thing I’ve learned is you have to find your own sound – something that makes you really different.  That and have fun with it!  If it’s not fun, you’re not doing it right.”

To find out more about Betty Who check out her Facebook page here and click here to enjoy an exclusive download of her new single “Somebody Loves You.”

Justine is a recent graduate of the University of South Florida. She received her B.A. in mass communcations in spring 2014. She was the 2013-2014 Campus Correspondent for Her Campus USF.She was also a News & Feature Writing Intern for College of Arts and Sciences and the Public Relations Campus Rep for Rent the Runway at USF. She is currently seeking agency experience and would love to someday work for a magazine, become a novelist, poet, editor, host of a Travel Channel show and much more.  She enjoys writing about fashion, beauty, art, literature, pop culture and student life. She spends most days listening to Lana del Rey, calming her nerves with various types of cheese, being sassy and trying to figure out when she can take a nap.Check out her website and portfolio here.She'd love you forever, if you followed her on Twitter @tinafigs_.Contact Justine regarding business inquires only at justinefigueroa@hercampus.com. 
Ashley is a Chapter Advisor and currently living in Brooklyn, New York.