MUSIC MONDAY: Besides Daniel

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

While some artists have dreams of making it big with fame and fortune, others are just trying to make a lasting impression on your heart. Indie music artist Daniel Brewer, better known as Besides Daniel, is attempting to do just that with his hopes of creating his new full-length album. With relatable lyrics, a melodic voice and a big heart, we know that Daniel’s tunes have melted our hearts and won us over. This new album will be completely funded by the fans and supporters of Besides Daniel through the fan-funded music platform PledgeMusic. Being a part of the indie music scene and relying on the full support of fans can be tough, and Daniel shared with us about his experience so far. 

Introduce yourself and tell us about Besides Daniel. “I’m an independent songwriter from Atlanta whose been playing under the alias of Besides Daniel for about 10 years now.”

Can you explain the journey you’ve been on so far for the creation of this full-length album? “I’ve released many recorded songs over the past 10 years: live compilations, EPs, Christmas downloads, free singles, compilations with other artists and just plain giveaway tunes to gain listenership. Now I’m trying to rally the support and convert those who are listening into supporters who actually help me do what I do by making a purchase. I’ve toured the entire country many times and look forward to a United States tour, a Canadian tour, a Brazilian tour and a tour of Europe next year if God is willing. I’ve paid my dues so to speak for some time now and I’m ready to create something amazing. I just need the resources to do it.”

Why is it important that your fans donate to your PledgeMusic page? “It’s important to ‘vote’ on what exists in the world by how we allocate our resources. Whatever you feed/help/invest in grows. Whatever we don’t support simply cannot survive. I hope to survive and even thrive as an indie artist.”

How have your friends and family helped you in this process? “I’ve had many friends and family members invest their time and love in me as I ride this coaster of risk called an artistic career. My parents have been amazing. They are both very supportive and encouraging. There are countless friends who have opened their homes, come to shows and helped critique my tunes, as well as played live shows with me. Some have even traveled the country with me all for little to no compensation.” 

Can you tell us a little bit about World Bicycle Relief (WBR) and what you’re planning on doing with them? “WBR is something I feel connected to because I love to bike and I feel it’s very sustainable. I have lived without a car in Atlanta for four years and it makes me feel so healthy and efficient. It makes budgeting easier too when I don’t have to buy gas. I work independently part-time building bikes here in Atlanta and it’s rewarding to see friends and friends of friends riding and enriching their lives and the health of our city. A percentage of the funds raised will go to them to help with their cause.”

What was your selection process in choosing 13 songs from over 40 of your songs to record? “I basically have chosen the strongest songs I feel I’ve written and those requested the most when I play live.”

Is there a common theme in the songs that you selected for this album? “There in not so much a common theme, as much as a common voice. This record will be many snapshots of many different places I’ve been over the past four years.”

What’s your biggest inspiration when writing songs? “My inspiration comes from many places, but mostly from an internal struggle or a beautiful lyric or idea that pops in my brain.”

Who would you compare your music to? “I would compare it to a tree growing slowly and hoping not to be cut down.” 

What is your ultimate goal for Besides Daniel? “My ultimate goal is to make a living creating music. I don’t want the fame and frills as much as I simply want to have the resources and peace of mind that comes from working hard and having someone compensate you for your work. And I want to travel the world for sure for the rest of my life. Hopefully have a companion to share it all with, but that is not really on my mind much these days.”

What some artists are you listening to today? “I love Sigur Rós, Bon Iver, James Blake, Joe Purdy, Gregory Alan Isakov, Other Lives, Radiohead, Frontier Ruckus, Washed Out, M83, A.A., Bondy, Ray LaMontagne, Billie Holiday, Wilder Adkins.” 

Why is it important to support the local indie music scene? “I believe it is important to support the local indie scene because without small scale art, our culture becomes ugly and mechanical and comprised of homogenized big box type models of being that suck the life from folks. I love taking a walk down a street with signs of a thriving artistic community like some neighborhoods in Atlanta. It’s warm, comforting and inspiring. It’s like walking through a garden.”

What advice do you have to other independent artists that are trying to do what you’re doing? “Well, it seems I’m trying to do what I’m doing too if that makes sense, but I’d say value your listeners above all, work hard in many different areas and develop many different skills in your efforts to become a thriving artist. I’d say learn to believe in yourself as that is by far the most difficult step in trying to get your feet underneath yourself. And don’t be afraid of the risks, the life is in the adventure.”

To support Besides Daniel for his full-length album, you can donate to his PledgeMusic project.

Besides Daniel – Pledge Music from Daniel Brew on Vimeo.

Photo source:

https://www.facebook.com/pages…

Ashley is a Chapter Advisor and currently living in Brooklyn, New York.