MUSIC MONDAY: Avril Lavigne Still Rocks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.
Canadian recording artist, Avril Lavigne, released her self-titled fifth studio album this month just two years after her last album. Despite some major changes in her life such as turning 29 and marrying Nickelback frontman, Chad Kroeger, Lavigne still loves to rock.

Although this is her fifth studio album, she hasn’t lost her bad-girl edge. She’s never growing up, but always ready to kick some butt. As made clear by one of the songs on this album, “Here’s To Never Growing Up” Lavigne sings, “When the sun’s going down, we’ll be raising our cups! Singing, here’s to never growing up!” This song will make you want to shout out the chorus and raise your own cup because I mean, who really wants to grow up anyway?

To prove her punk-rock princess status and love of rock’n’roll music, the track “Rock N Roll” contains a guitar solo and Lavigne’s demanding voice. “I’m still the motherfreaking princess!” Well we had no doubts. Back in 2002, Lavigne sold millions of copies of her debut album, Let Go, which had the singles “Complicated” and “Sk8er Boi”. Since then, Lavigne has worn the punk-rock princess crown and this new album only adds more diamonds to it. Her album has a few anthems that will make you want to throw your hands in the air, dance and sing along. But along with anthems and rock songs that flashback to the teenage Lavigne, her album is diverse with pop, electronic and ballad songs.

“Sippin’ On Sunshine” is a fun pop song about romance that could definitely be a song of the summer. “B*tchn’ Summer” is also a great summer anthem. Just hold off until June of next year and you’ll surely be singing these two songs with your windows down on the way to the beach.

“Hello Kitty” is a surprising techno-pop song unlike anything Lavigne has done before. In addition, “Bad Girl” featuring fellow rocker Marilyn Manson has a bold, sexiness to it–very different than the Lavigne fans expect.

Despite the theme of the majority of songs on the album, there is no denying the truth that Lavigne really is growing up. Her soft ballad duet with husband, Chad Kroeger, showcases her mature emotional side. Lavigne and her husband wrote and performed “Let Me Go” together, which is a break-up and make-up song. 

Lavigne easily sets herself apart from other artists with the quality of simply being herself. Through her music, it is obvious that she has a strong sense of self with no chance of that changing. Think of other artists in the music industry and how they have gone through different stages in their career. No one seems to be the same person all the time. Sure, growing up and trying something different is a part of life, but that doesn’t mean you have to forget where you come from.

Lavigne has been clear with critics and fans from the start. She likes to have fun and she loves rock and roll music. Her new album as well as old ones prove that she’s just being her natural self and that fact alone is why Lavigne is still the punk-rock princess.

You can listen to samples of the entire album on iTunes, so go enjoy some great punk-rock music. 

Photo Credits:

Jasmin Lankford is a junior at the University of South Florida majoring in mass communications with a minor in creative writing. She is the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus USF. Jasmin is also the Communications committee chair of the College of Arts and Sciences Dean's Student Leadership Society and the Media Coordinator of The Poets at USF. She loves to write about literature, fashion, art, student life and pop culture. She aspires to publish a bestselling book, write and edit for a newspaper or magazine, travel the world, and more. Read her blog here!
Justine is a recent graduate of the University of South Florida. She received her B.A. in mass communcations in spring 2014. She was the 2013-2014 Campus Correspondent for Her Campus USF.She was also a News & Feature Writing Intern for College of Arts and Sciences and the Public Relations Campus Rep for Rent the Runway at USF. She is currently seeking agency experience and would love to someday work for a magazine, become a novelist, poet, editor, host of a Travel Channel show and much more.  She enjoys writing about fashion, beauty, art, literature, pop culture and student life. She spends most days listening to Lana del Rey, calming her nerves with various types of cheese, being sassy and trying to figure out when she can take a nap.Check out her website and portfolio here.She'd love you forever, if you followed her on Twitter @tinafigs_.Contact Justine regarding business inquires only at justinefigueroa@hercampus.com.