Melissa Ortiz

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Meet Melissa Ortiz, a 21-year-old French and Anthropology major.  Melissa is a senior and is originally from Brick, New Jersey. Read on to find out more about the USF Lady Bull who is passionate about diverse cultures!

Her Campus: Why did you choose your major?
Melissa Ortiz: “I have been studying French for eight years and I love everything about the French language and Francophone cultures. As for Anthropology, I am very passionate about learning about cultures and figuring out how I can help. Anthropology teaches  me about the complexity of cultures in our world and how I can help better some the conflicts these groups of people might have.”

HC: What is your relationship status?
MO: “Single.” 

HC: What organizations are you involved in on campus? “
MO: Green and Gold Guides (Campus Tour guides).” 

HC: Who inspires you?
MO: “My mom.” 

HC: What is your favorite quote?
MO: “Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.” 
-Ralph Waldo Emerson 

HC: What is your favorite type of music?
MO: “Reggae.” 

HC: What is your favorite TV show?
MO: “That 70’s show.”

HC: What is your dream job?
MO: “A job that allows me to make a difference in people’s lives, even if that means being a yoga instructor that travels the world, because that would be amazing!” 

HC: What’s the first thing people tend to notice about you?
MO: “My hair.” 

HC:What is your Zodiac sign and does it fit you?
MO: “I’m not a huge believer in Zodiac signs but I am a Leo and the characteristics are very similar to my personality, such as being energetic and optimistic.” 

HC: If you can could have one type of food, one piece of literature and one piece of music on a desert island what would they be?
MO: “Tostitos lime and salsa, The Bible and definitely one of the NOW CD’s since it has a mix of everything.” 

HC: Who would play you in the movie of your life?
MO: “Kristen Wig because can take on many roles and I like that she can be dramatic but in a funny way. She would be perfect to play me in the movie of my life.” 

HC: Who is your celebrity crush?
MO: Zac Efron.

HC: What is your favorite sport>
MO: Basketball.

HC: What is your favorite wonder of the world?
MO: “I’ve only seen one wonder which was Rome’s Colosseum and it is shocking that a structure like that still stands to this day. I would really like to see Brazil’s Christ the Redeemer statue.”

Justine is a recent graduate of the University of South Florida. She received her B.A. in mass communcations in spring 2014. She was the 2013-2014 Campus Correspondent for Her Campus USF.She was also a News & Feature Writing Intern for College of Arts and Sciences and the Public Relations Campus Rep for Rent the Runway at USF. She is currently seeking agency experience and would love to someday work for a magazine, become a novelist, poet, editor, host of a Travel Channel show and much more.  She enjoys writing about fashion, beauty, art, literature, pop culture and student life. She spends most days listening to Lana del Rey, calming her nerves with various types of cheese, being sassy and trying to figure out when she can take a nap.Check out her website and portfolio here.She'd love you forever, if you followed her on Twitter @tinafigs_.Contact Justine regarding business inquires only at justinefigueroa@hercampus.com.