Meet A Her Campus Member: Kareika Wharton

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Meet Her Campus member, Kareika Wharton! Kareika is an advertising and management double major. She is the new Publicity Coordinator for Her Campus USF. Read more about this HC member below!

Her Campus: Why did you join Her Campus? What do you like about it?

Kareika Wharton: At first, I was attracted to the organization because of the women involved. I saw that some of my really close friends were involved so I wanted to see what it was all about.  I did my research and ended up loving what it was about. I love the fact that it seeks to empower women and I really do enjoy their articles. I hope we can have a bigger presence on campus and affect the young women here in a positive way.

HC: Where are you from and do you like your hometown?

KW: I am from a small island in the Caribbean called Barbados and I love where I am from. I am so proud to be a “Bajan” as we call it and I would not change it for the world. I loved my childhood growing up on an island. There was a lot of freedom, family bonds are close and of course, the beaches are amazing.

HC: What brought you to USF?

KW: Honestly, I came to USF because for some reason, they give Caribbean students with a certain GPA in-state tuition and I certainly was not passing up the chance to cut down on my college expenses. But I am really happy that I ended up here. The weather is nice, it’s close to home and there is a huge Caribbean community in Tampa. I can feel as at home as I want to and I have managed to make some friends here that I am sure will be in my life for the long haul.

HC: What is your favorite class you’ve taken at USF?

KW: Last summer while I was on my study abroad trip in Italy, I took a class called Intimate Relations and it was all about love. Being the hopeless romantic that I am, it was definitely my most enjoyable class to date. It was nice to have a safe place where both guys and girls could give their perspective on something that society puts so much emphasis on.

HC: What’s your absolute favorite thing to do on your down time?

KW: Music. I love music so much. I feel like no matter what mood I am in there is always a song or lyric that can match it. People always tell me that they never see me without my headphones and it is true. It’s not because I am anti-social though, I promise! It’s just the music man…I love it.

HC: What are your favorite places around USF and the surrounding area? Why?

KW: One of my favorite places in USF is the second floor of the library. It sounds weird, but I love the vibe of that place. Yeah, we go there to study, but you always see a familiar face and get a chance to catch up with people that you haven’t seen in a while. Plus, we all feel each other’s struggle of having work to do.

HC: What are your hobbies?

KW: That’s such a common question, you know? And I think they have definitely changed over the years. But at this age now and as a college student, I really enjoy being by myself sometimes. I love to work out, read inspirational quotes and as lame as it sounds, I love to play my music really loudly and dance in my room…don’t judge me.

HC: Who is your celebrity crush (guy or gal)?

KW: I don’t think I have a celebrity crush. I don’t care too much for the lives of celebrities outside of whatever field they are in. If you’re a singer, I care about your music. If you’re an actor, I care about your shows or movies. Other than that, I’m too busy minding my own business. That being said, I’d probably cry if I ever saw Roger Federer, I love that man for some reason.

HC: What quote do you live by?

KW: As I said, I read quotes for fun so it is really hard to choose, but one that comes to mind is “Be picky with who you invest your time in…wasted time is worse than wasted money.” I have such a fear of my time being wasted, whether it’s with school or people, but mostly people. I just think that you never really know people. People show you what they want you to see and you kind of just have take it as is. How can we ever really be sure of their intentions though…Yeah, don’t waste my time.

HC: What advice do you have for incoming freshmen?

KW: Honestly, make the most of the opportunities you have to meet new people during your first year. I think that is one of my biggest regrets in college, living in a dorm that was so segregated from other people (Juniper-Poplar).  I think that the bonds you make and the people you meet have the potential to affect your college experience and maybe even your life in such a grand way that it is worth the time and effort to step out of your comfort zone and talk to a stranger.

Lover of all things Disney, Star Wars, Marvel, Harry Potter and fashion. Junior. Mass Communication major. Disney Cast member. Aspiring writer.