Lucille Nguyen: Meet A Her Campus Member

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Pretty, smart and everything in between, Lucille is a great person to have around. However, she hates the name Lucille, much preferring to be called Ellie. Her nickname is a topic she has no problems cracking jokes about though. As she puts it: “People make me feel like a criminal when they find out ‘YOUR NAME IS LUCILLE’”! She is a sophomore studying mass communications with a minor in business at the University of South Florida, and hopes that one day this course will lead her to a job as a social media coordinator for a fashion company. This wasn’t always the course Ellie planned to take. When she was a little girl she dreamed of being a news anchor because “it seemed so glamorous and exciting”! Obviously her ideals have changed a bit.

Ellie’s family history is one of the factors that make her such a unique individual. Her parents fled from Vietnam to America following the fall of the south in 1975. Once here, they settled in New Orleans, Louisiana where they continued to live and raise their five daughters. “If I had to pack up a few of my belongings and leave my family behind to go to a foreign country I’m not sure I’d be as successful as they have been,” says Nguyen when asked about her family. It’s bravery like that that turned Ellie’s parents into her role models as well. It must’ve been hard to leave that kind of family behind while attending college, but Ellie believes that USF is perfect for her. As she puts it, “my sisters live in Miami so it’s faraway enough to learn and grow while being close enough to visit home.” She also loves the amount of diversity in Tampa, a factor that was of great importance to her when choosing a college.

Just like her family, Ellie is outgoing and friendly. You would never guess that she used to be extremely timid! Moving to Florida helped bring her out of her “shy girl shell.” Despite her ability to overcome her shy nature, Ellie still has fears just like the rest of us. Shows like Law and Order SVU and Criminal Minds have made her paranoid. “I check behind the shower curtain for murderers,” she says. Ellie also wishes she could possess the ability to shape-shift (like Mystique). A talent like that would really come in handy if she ever does encounter a murderer in the shower!

Truth be told, Ellie is a very down to earth, talented individual. She has a sense of humor – always laughing and joking – yet she also knows when to be serious. She cares deeply for those that are close to her and is always willing to lend a helping hand. The best way to truly describe Ellie Nguyen is through her favorite quote: “To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and to endure the betrayal of false friends. To appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to leave the world a bit better whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition; to know that even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded” (Ralph Waldo Emerson).

Photo Source:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151076738284374&set=a.44416700…

Ashley is a Chapter Advisor and currently living in Brooklyn, New York.