This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

There is so much history and versatility in black hair. From cornrows, locs, fros, and box braids to twist outs, fulani braids, bantu knots and fades, black people have been using their hair as a form of expression since the beginning of time. Sadly, our hair has been treated like a political issue as well. We are indoctrinated from birth and throughout childhood by society that loose, straight hair is the standard of beauty.

Black women and men are fired and denied from jobs for having hair that is “unruly” and “unprofessional,” while black children grow up believing that their hair is ugly and “nappy.” It is destructive and has taken a toll on the black community, even dividing us against each: “Good hair” (looser curls, typically type 3a-3c) versus “Bad hair” (tighter curls and kinks, typically type 4a-4c). Fortunately, we are in the midst of a self-love movement which includes loving our hair loudly and unconditionally with kinks, naps, and all.

Photo courtesy of Pinterest

Let’s break down the “why’s” and “how’s.” Since Africa is quite close to the equator, evolution suggests that black people have thick, curly, wool-like hair in order to protect our scalps from the damaging rays of the sun. If you observe black hair under a microscope, you see that the follicles are ribbon shaped while non-black hair tends to be rounder, leading to less coils and tangles. This also means that it is more fragile and requires more moisture and TLC in order to grow thick and long. Keep in mind that there is no hair type superior to another, it is all just science and evolution.

However, 

Photo courtesy of Black Girl Nerds

Since black hair possesses the qualities of having grip, defying gravity, and being wondrously voluminous, there is an endless list of styles and ideas for what to do with it.

Feeling lazy? Braid your hair down and wrap a turban around it. Feeling creative? Sleep in flexi-rods to give your hair that extra definition and style the next morning. Feeling liberated? Wear a high puff atop your head like a crown, or simply let your fro out free. It does not stop there either. Protective styles, or hairstyles that are low manipulation and allow for growth, can range from wearing wigs/weaves to simply wearing two-strand twists.

The worst thing the black community has been taught is that we are not beautiful, but that is the furthest thing from the truth. From our skin, to our style and culture to our hair, we are something to be celebrated.

Chioneso is a junior at the University of South Florida, with a major in Mass Communications and a concentration in Integrated Public Relations and Advertising. Her hobbies lie in exploring new places, foods and activities, as well as capturing/editing photos and videos.
Hey! My name is Leticia and I am the Campus Correspondents here at USF. I am graduating in MAY (omg) with a degree in Advertising and PR. I am originally from Brazil, needless to say, I LOVE the beach and being outside! I enjoy everything from make-up to fitness and sports. In my free time you can find me thrifting, playing photographer, or at home with my hubby binging Netflix.