This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Like most people, I grew up watching countless movies and TV shows of people living fabulous lives in Los Angeles. The films showed beautiful weather, endless sunsets, surfing, and oh-so-glamorous celebrities. L.A. is synonymous with stardom, but as I visited for the first time, I pleasantly realized the City of Angels is much more than Hollywood. 

During the first couple of days of my trip, I visited the main tourist spots. As a wide-eyed fangirl, I really enjoyed stopping by the Warner Brothers Studio, where I toured the lot where some of my favorite TV shows were filmed. Standing in the front yard of Lorelai Gilmore’s house filled a special place in my heart, only to get more excited when going to the spot of Spiderman and MJ’s upside-down kiss after, followed by visiting Friends’ beloved Central Perk. 

After visiting the studio, I went to one of the most popular spots for tourists: the Walk of Fame. I did not think there would be that many stars on so many streets, but as soon as I stepped out of the car and saw Britney Spears’ star, my whole night was made. Even though the locals never approach the area, I think it was crucial for me to see as a tourist. It is truly a sight you can’t see anywhere else. 

Lastly on the tourist list: Santa Monica. The pier was extremely busy, but the views at sunset were truly enchanting. 

But as the days passed, I had seen all the tourist spots and still had time left to explore the city. If you are looking to see the true side of Los Angeles, have authentic tacos in small family businesses where the flavor will be like no other spot in the US.

I loved exploring Little Tokyo, where the sushi was amazing and the ice cream was just as remarkable. Visit the restaurant Elephante, where the flavors of Italy meet the sunset in Santa Monica. Lastly, do not go to any other beach that is not Malibu beach. The views and lack of tourists make it one of the best beaches in the Los Angeles area. 

Overall, looking back at my visit, I realize that Los Angeles does have the wonderful things seen in the films, but it also has a vibrant air and warm welcome from its locals. Even though I enjoyed the tourism, I loved getting to see the side of everyday life in the City of Angels. 

My name is Maria and I am a senior at USF studying Integrated Public Relations & Advertising and French.