Kissing Gods Gravel book. First photo in the Local Artist Spotlight: D Nguyen piece
Original photo by Dylan Courtney

Local Artist Spotlight: D Nguyen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

A night out with writers always calls for some sort of mayhem. This night was particularly memorable because D Nguyen was involved. We saw their book release with GrowHouse in Ybor City, and while I have attended a few art events and poetry readings in the past, this was unlike anything I’ve experienced. Nguyen elevated the performance of multidisciplinary poetry to a whole new level  — a transcendent level.

The poetry book is titled “Kissing God’s Gravel,” and Nguyen digs through matters of being a first-generation Vietnamese American, discovering themselves through themes of war, suicide, mental health, and generational trauma. I was curious how this plethora of motifs could be condensed into an hour sitting, yet in this case, my curiosity was naive. Nguyen moved like water and spoke as if they were emptying their mind with no limitations or barriers. It was incredibly personal and I applaud their vulnerability. You could tell, as the reader and as the audience member, that these emotions were conceived from birth or from right there in those intimate Asian markets they referenced. It was beautiful to witness.

Nguyen brought their poetry into motion and their words to life through the medium of film, movement, and theater. Amidst periodic pauses in the room, the sound of sniffling underscored the profound connection people felt to their words. The space was safe and the people there were safe, even though I only spoke to familiar faces.

There was not a single hesitation during the performance hour. Throughout all the dialect and motion, Nguyen never once stuttered. Their composed and natural demeanor mirrored the significance, openness, and personal depth of the narrative that was brought to life.

Book signed by author for the D Nguyen piece
Original photo by Dylan Courtney

Now, I’m merely a student studying art. I’m studying poetry and prose and the Utopia and Plato. I’m no specialist, and my experience ranges from the ground to the legos of references, but I do know that the audience, in these cases, are the listeners. We are the blank canvases that writers and performers can paint on. And D Nguyen was someone easy to listen to and weld a compelling brush.

I physically read the book immediately after returning from the release. It’s exceptional and easy to follow, coming from someone who often gets riddled with reading thick writing. In “Kissing God’s Gravel,” the words flow like music, maintaining a steady beat and thematic coherence.

If this didn’t influence you enough, go purchase D Nguyen’s poetry book and check out their other work. They signed my copy saying “may the light in me, touch the light in you.” I hope that one’s a domino effect, D. 

I even purchased a T-shirt.

Dylan Courtney is a writer born out of years of reading. And so what occupies her mind, not to mention every square foot of her room, are fewer posters and instead shelves upon shelves of the books she has both poured through and loved. http://dylancourtney.com