Life Lessons I Learned From One Tree Hill

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

1. Your parents don’t define who you are. Although Dan Scott was the antagonist of the entire series, his son, Nathan turned out to be a loving father, friend, brother and hero.

2. Coming from a single parent household doesn’t make you any less of a person. Lucas Scott’s father, Dan Scott abandoned him and his mother before he was born. Yet, look at the success Lucas achieved.

3. Best friends go through ups and down, and that’s ok. During the early seasons, Peyton and Brooke went from one fight to another. But at the end of the day, they were always there for each other.

4. Setting goals for yourself really allows you to see how far you’ve come. Lucas and Haley wrote a list of their goals for each upcoming high school year, no matter how outstanding they were, and tucked them away in a brick opening on top of Karen’s Café. After the year was over, they would reread their goals and see if each was accomplished.

5. Challenging yourself will allow you to grow as a person. Nathan chose to enroll in the Business class with the more challenging professor in order to advance himself and to gain more knowledge.

6. Always follow your dreams, regardless of who stands in the way. Haley went on tour in order to chase her dreams of being a famous musician, despite Nathan begging her not to go. Although their relationship was rocky for a while, they turned out stronger and more united than ever.

7. Regardless of your past, you can change your future. There is no justification for Dan Scott murdering his brother, however, we have to give him credit for the fact that after accepting and taking responsibility for his actions, he became a better man.

8. If love is meant to be, you will always find your way back to each other. Haley and Nathan. Julian and Brooke. Peyton and Lucas.

9. Grief is natural and it’s ok to take time to grieve after the death of a loved one. Haley’s state of depression after her mom passed away was completely normal. The most important thing was that she bounced back.

10. Don’t judge a book by its cover. Overlooking one’s faults and offering them guidance is an unselfish and satisfying feeling. Quinton Fields proved to be a tough student to get through, but with the help of Haley, Lucas and Nathan, he tapped into his full potential.

11. Never underestimate your worth and what your capable of. Brooke Davis created a multi million-dollar fashion line, with ideas stemming from her love of designing clothes in high school.   

12. Life get’s tough, but don’t give up. Every life is worth living.  R.I.P. Jimmy Edwards.

13. Always stand up for what you believe in. Marvin “Mouth” McFadden defended Nathan against the false accusations of having an affair with another woman. Mouth was fired from his job, he felt his loyalty and sense of justice was more important than his job. Nathan was appreciative of his defense, as well as Dan Scott who left money to Mouth in his will.

Sydjea Watson is from the beautiful island of Jamaica. She graduated from the University of South Florida with a bachelor's degree in mass communications. Sydjea has a passion and great appreciation for the arts. She currently works as a freelance photographer while pursuing a photography certification at Rhode Island School of Design.