photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

LGBT+ Resources at USF

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Gay culture is alive and well at USF, but many students may be at a loss of where to find information about or connect with the community. Here is a short list of resources that can help LGBT+ women do so on campus.

Photo courtesy of Pride Alliance Facebook

Pride Alliance is a long-standing USF organization, founded and run by LGBT+ students.

Founded in 1974, it is the oldest continuously funded gay student organization in Florida. They regularly hold meetings and events, which are excellent for learning more about gay culture and meeting new people in the community.

You can find their Facebook page here, and their website here. You can find further information about their meetings oneither.

Photo courtesy of TSU Facebook

TSU, short for Trans Student Union, is an organization on campus run by transgender students, for trans students. Like Pride Alliance, they hold regular meetings and events to both educate and engage the community and allies.

One of their regular events, which Pride Alliance has also begun holding as well, is a support group. Here students can talk about issues they face being trans, and find comfort, support, and advice from their fellow transgender students. They post regular updates and photos from events on their Facebook page. Photo courtesy of Lauren (Nova) Charles

Bathroom access is a big issue in the LGBT+ community, especially on a college campus where you may be in class for the entire day, and unable to wait. TSU, the Office of Multicultural Affairs (OMA), and the Committee on Issues of Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity (CISOGI) collaborated to create an interactive list of gender neutral bathrooms, accessible by anyone regardless of gender identity. You can access the map here

Photo courtesy of The Office of Multicultural Affairs

USF’s Safe Zone training program educates participants about the LGBT+ community and their struggles. It is an excellent course that LGBT+ people and allies alike participate to help build a more inclusive and supportive environment. Professors will often have a sticker or pin indicating that they have completed the course displayed somewhere, so if you see the Safe Zone logo you can be sure you are with someone supportive.

You can learn more about this program and sign up for parts one through four on the office of Multicultural Affairs Safe Zone Page.

Nova is a mass communications and creative writing double major at the USF. I plan on going into Television Writing and Production, but news writing and social media have always been two big interests of mine, so I've joined Her Campus to work in both of those!
Interests include but are not limited to: art, history, astrology, skin care, the french, politics (yikes), frank ocean, controversy and being extremely overdramatic.