Katherine Lopez-Vasquez

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Katherine Lopez-Vasquez
Biomedical Sciences major with a Leadership minor
Sophomore

Katherine Lopez-Vasquez, originally from Hollywood, Florida, said she chose USF based on the great medical program and many opportunities for undergraduate research because of her major. She also said the diversity of the USF campus makes her feel at home. Katherine has always wanted to be a doctor and focus on children in her practice. Her little sister, who is diabetic, is her inspiration to help children who have diabetes. While striving as a full-time student, Katherine also works for Student Government, New Student Connections and the Office of Orientation. In five years from now Katherine hopes to be in medical school, continuing the path to reach her goals.

While Katherine is very school and work oriented, she also loves crafting and playing soccer. She is passionate about her faith, family and education. Katherine is a sister of Alpha Omicron Pi, an international women’s fraternity promoting friendship for a lifetime, inspiring academic excellence, lifelong learning and developing leaderships skills through service to the fraternity and the community.

Relationship status? “I am currently single!”

What would be the first thing you would do if today were your last day? “If today were my last day, I would make sure to be surrounded with my family and everyone that I love at the beach. I’ve always seen the beach as a place to relieve my stress and just be happy. I would love to enjoy my last day with everyone I love on the sand and listen to the waves crashing onto the shore.”

What is your vision of a perfect society? “I don’t think anyone is perfect. We all make mistakes at some point in life. Each day we learn from everything we do – whether it was a mistake or not we learn from it. I think it’s more how we react to these things that shapes society.”

How do you define happiness? “I think that life is too short to be unhappy. I define happiness as just waking up with a smile everyday, being thankful for everything I have and knowing that every obstacle I encounter I will never be alone. “

How do you believe women impact society? “I believe that every person has the opportunity to make their own impact on society.”

What quote do you live by? “Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.” -Harold R. McAlindon

Kelsey Howard is a senior at the University of South Florida. She is majoring in mass communications with a concentration in magazine and a minor in American Sign Language. Kelsey is currently on the Editorial Team for Her Campus USF, is a blogger for Rent the Runway and a news writing intern for USF College of Arts and Sciences. She loves writing about fashion, beauty, relationships, careers, education, and much more. Kelsey aspires to move to New York City after graduation to pursue a career at a national, monthly magazine. Kelsey is currently on a mission to empower girls and women everywhere! Follow Kelsey on Twitter and Instagram at @KelseyKayHoward and read her personal blog at http://www.kelseykayhoward.com. View her resume and portfolio at www.kelseykayhoward.info.
Ashley is a Chapter Advisor and currently living in Brooklyn, New York.