Wellness > Sex + Relationships

I Tried Getting Birth Control Pills Online – Here’s How That Went

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

I, and probably several other college-aged women, have often faced the struggle of needing contraceptives, but not having enough money to cover a pack of pills every month. While some women are blessed with healthcare plans, the sad reality is that many women have to pay large sums of money per year for basic healthcare needs (looking at you, United States Healthcare).

For most of college, I have paid nearly thirty dollars per month out of pocket for my birth control pills. It is common for women to pay out of pocket when they are getting prescriptions at their doctor’s office and then picking up the prescriptions at local pharmacies.

After my brain had a chat with my wallet, I decided to try ordering birth control pills online after seeing a Facebook ad for the company NURX. 

screenshot of birth control (NURX) website
Ashton Prater
Now, I was a little wary of letting a Facebook ad decide my fate on which prescription service to use, so I researched the best options on the internet.

I decided to choose the company NURX because they had overall the cheapest options. Again, as someone who has no health insurance, the price of my pills makes all the difference.

The entire process with NURX was seamless and I only had to answer some questions about my body and health needs. These questions were exactly the same that you would be asked at a visit to your gynecologist, and that’s because you pretty much are visiting a gyno with NURX, but only online. NURX has a team of specialists that review the answers to your questions in order to find the perfect pill for you.

NURX even allows you to keep the same prescription that you were receiving through your pharmacy. This means that you can have the same pills, but the only difference is that the pills are at a fraction of the price. If you do not desire to take the same birth control, you can change your prescription with a simple text.

I am currently paying fifteen dollars for packs that I used to pay $25 for. The contraception is sent right to my mailbox, and as a bonus, NURX also includes inspirational stickers in nearly every pack they send.

image of birth control pack
Ashton Prater
The customer service at NURX is also some of the best that I have ever encountered. If something is not right, the team will make sure that you are heard and taken care of.

Even though I am raving about NURX, it does not mean that you should ditch your doctors and head to the internet for contraception. NURX, and I as well, advise that you should not stop going to the gyno. There are certain things that cannot be done online — if you catch my drift.

Reproductive and sexual health is important, but the ridiculous, high prices of contraception pills should not be the reason that a poor college student gets into unplanned situations.

If you are looking for a cheaper way to get your birth control prescription, I would definitely recommend looking into NURX (and my dog does too)!

birth control pack
Ashton Prater

I am a Junior at USF majoring in English and aspiring to write something that people enjoy reading. My hobbies are watching New Girl and That 70s Show on repeat, eating good food, and sleeping.