Wellness > Sex + Relationships

How Your Second Love Will Teach You About Your First

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Breakups are hard, especially if it’s your first one. Everybody talks about how hard it is to get over your first love, but there aren’t a lot of love songs about the struggles of falling into your second one.

What I’m saying is, your second love can teach you a lot about your first and about how love works in general. 

Photo courtesy of Pixabay

First loves, in my experience, often come to an end. While it’s sometimes bitter, it is also occasionally just what each member of the party needs at that point—people grow apart. 

In the cases where it’s bitter, though, it seems that letting in love after that is harder than getting over the initial breakup. You may find yourself not wanting to feel the way you did before ever again.

The fact is that you are bound to start feeling love for someone else afterwards, call it the great human consequence, but what I never expected was for this love that came to feel so different than the last. 

My second love seemed to come in disguise so that I’d be more likely to let it in. 

What I mean by this is that Taylor Swift and I went through our “Lover”-like recovery at the same time. 

You’re going to find yourself falling for someone who may be completely different than your last, and maybe that’s a good thing.

You’re going to realize how stupid you were for the things you used to say and do (and believe). Mostly, if you’re like me, you’re going to have to learn to love with baggage. 

And if you’re with the right person, they’ll help you carry it. 

Photo courtesy of Ashton Prater

I am a Junior at USF majoring in English and aspiring to write something that people enjoy reading. My hobbies are watching New Girl and That 70s Show on repeat, eating good food, and sleeping.