jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Survive Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

For many Valentine’s Day can be a reminder of a situation that you do not need to be reminded of. While the holiday may be inevitable there are ways to make it bearable and possibly even fun.

GALentine’s Day

Thanks to the hilarious Leslie Knope, we have a holiday to celebrate our lady friends. It is easy to forget how lucky we are when we focus on what we do not. Sure you may not have met the love of your life but you have met some wonderful friends along the way. Why not have a day where you celebrate each other?

Shopping Spree

I believe in shopping therapy. It is important to surround yourself, and to truly appreciate beautiful things. Sure your problems may not disappear but every now and then you need to “treat yo self” and do something for yourself. Even if it is just something small buying something new can change your perspective on life.

Visit the hair salon

Sometimes we desperately need change in our life but we do not know where to begin. Some change can be an overwhelming and daunting task. One way to begin that change is the clear your head and get positive energy back into your life. But how does one do that? A new hair style of course! Hair will grow and the color will fade which is a parallel to your life right now if you are in a difficult situation. A visit to the hair salon at the very least will increase your confidence and make you realize how wonderful you are inside and out. This too shall pass and with a smart, good looking head on your shoulders will be even better than you can imagine.

Pinterest Party

You know all of those crafts and things you have been meaning to bake that you haven’t quite got around to doing yet? Well, this is your chance! Go to the grocery store and/or craft store and buy all of the necessary supplies and spend the whole day creating something fun! Get a group of friends together and make it a Pinterest party.

Send yourself flowers and chocolate

Why wait for prince charming when you can be your own? Karen Salmansohn said it best when she said, “Buy yourself flowers simply because they are beautiful and you deserve beauty in your life.” There is no need to wait for someone else to bring happiness into your life find it for yourself. 

Travel

There are always places we want to go visit, now is your time! Maybe there is a museum you’ve wanted to see, an art gallery, a park, the beach, or maybe a cute local shopping area. Get some friends together, or go by yourself and enjoy doing whatever your heart desires.

Valentine’s Day doesn’t need to be sad. Embrace and enjoy your life just as it is. 

Kalyn Nylander is a Freshman at University of South Florida where she studies Marketing. Her passions include fashion, beauty, old films, music, and the preforming arts. In her free time you will find her shopping, reading, watching fashion shows, running, or creating mood boards. You can find her on twitter @nylander_kalyn.
Sydjea Watson is from the beautiful island of Jamaica. She graduated from the University of South Florida with a bachelor's degree in mass communications. Sydjea has a passion and great appreciation for the arts. She currently works as a freelance photographer while pursuing a photography certification at Rhode Island School of Design.