Career

How to Pitch to a Brand

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

In today’s world, practically anyone is considered an influencer. Some are larger than others, so most commonly, you see the term micro-influencer. Micro-influencers have a lot more power than you might think.

Because micro-influencers have a smaller following, they commonly hold a higher engagement rate. Engagement rate can be calculated by taking the number of likes on photo plus the number of comments on a photo, then dividing by the total number of followers. The more engaged your audience is, the more a brand will see you as an influential account.

Photo courtesy of Influencer Marketing Hub

No matter your engagement rate or follower count, it is never too soon to introduce yourself. While some brands might reach out to you, it is always a good idea to make connections.

The first step to pitching to a brand is introducing yourself. I always state my name, age, location, account style, and any other key bits of information about myself. Do you know a lot about this brand, or do you post with them frequently? If yes, mention this, and include something you admire about their brand. For example, thank them for being a cruelty-free company, for that is something you value. Be genuine and do not overdo it, though. It shows.

Photo courtesy of MyPostcard

Next, state what you are asking for. Are you asking for a general collaboration or maybe to work on a new launch? This next step is important: tell the brand/company what you can do for them. What platforms do you reach, and how may you produce unique content? This is where you include your stats such as engagement rate, follower count, audience, etc. Just like a resume, only include helpful information.

Photo courtesy of Strasbourghotelstoday

Thank them for considering your collaboration request, sign off, and take a deep breath. You did it! This is a good place to attach a portfolio, media kit, or resume. Now you wait, and do not be too upset if you receive a no. You will keep growing and before you know it, you will see yes more often.

Photo courtesy of Joshua Hook

Raised in Nashville, Tennessee, Michala is currently studying Integrated Public Relations and Advertising at the University of South Florida. Michala is passionate about her faith, coffee shop hopping, and the world of beauty. To see more of Michala's work, check out https://instagram.com/stepstoglow and https://stepstoglow.com
Interests include but are not limited to: art, history, astrology, skin care, the french, politics (yikes), frank ocean, controversy and being extremely overdramatic.