This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

I have attended my fair share of career events, and to say it gets easier each time is both a false and true statement. The nerves beforehand are terrifyingly real, especially when communicating with a company you’re undeniably passionate about becoming an employee for someday. Waiting in line, approaching the representative, and finally speaking with them sometimes feels like a lifetime. However, in actuality, the conversation usually lasts about five minutes… if you’re lucky. However, attending as many networking fairs as I could since first coming to USF in 2018 has helped me develop necessary and professional skills. I am more prepared, a better conversationalist, and truly know how to convey my strongest experiences to create value for the type of job I desire.

Here are some of my greatest tips for those who have never attended a networking fair, plan to in the future, or have experience and are just looking for further insight into how to succeed to the best of your ability:

Show Off That SMILE!

The power of a smile is infectious! The number one comment I receive from recruiters is always centered around my energy, enthusiasm, and smile. It honestly comes as a package deal: the more you smile, the more enthusiastic you will become. It shows the company you are genuinely interested in speaking with them. Your attitude can, without a doubt, change the attitude of the other person. Make sure you radiate positivity and steer the direction of the conversation to one grounded in eagerness.

Research the Company Beforehand

Whether it’s a company you just heard about, or it’s your dream company, and you feel like you know everything about them, research the company prior to meeting with representatives. The reason I say this is because I promise you there’s always something more to learn! The main sections I read off a company’s website are their About Us page, their mission and values statement, their involvement in the community, and a description of the job position I want to apply for. This is extremely beneficial because you have a greater understanding of what the company hopes to accomplish, and you can incorporate those verbs and phrases into your introduction. You will hit the nail on the head if you can effectively communicate their mission back to them in your own personal experiences.

Ask Meaningful Questions

The amount of time you have to ask questions will change depending on the type of networking fair you attend. I always write three questions down in my business journal and usually ask about two of them. It’s better to have more questions prepared because sometimes the representative will answer them before you even have the chance to ask and in other instances, there might be more time for questions, and it’s best to avoid being caught off guard. Make sure your questions create value! By this, I mean ask questions that spark the representatives’ interest and help you gain more knowledge. Show them your passion for learning and curiosity towards the company. For example, I always ask recruiters “What are some challenges interns or employees face in this internship or job role?”

Connect on Linkedin or Ask for a Business Card

If you see yourself with that company (or even if not), it’s always respectful to ask for a business card and request to connect on LinkedIn. This is especially eye-catching to recruiters because you’re taking initiative. If I’m interested in their opportunities, I always add, “I would love to further the conversation with you. Would you like to set up a meeting?” You don’t have to ask this directly after networking if you don’t feel comfortable; you could always add that in your LinkedIn message. Just as important: NEVER send a LinkedIn request blindly with no note because it lacks relationship building. For instance, after the networking fair, you could attach a note that says, “It was wonderful meeting you at the networking fair today.” Help yourself and the representative by making the association between you and the event. If you don’t already, I highly suggest you purchase your own business cards. They don’t need to be fancy or expensive, just something personalized by you to make communication easier.

Be Yourself

Sounds cliché, but it’s entirely true. Do not put on a fake persona to gain a company’s interest because, in the end, they are not the right fit for you if you have to change who you are. Never sacrifice your beliefs or values to fit a specific company’s views. I assure you there are many other businesses out there who stand for what you believe in and align with your morals. Representatives appreciate honesty much more because it makes the communication and, fingers crossed, hiring process much easier on both ends.

Final thought: Be open to meeting new people at networking fairs because opportunities come when you least expect them!

Hey there! I'm a college girl majoring in Marketing and minoring in Mass Communications! You can find me scrolling through social media, studying, listening to my Spotify playlists, and obsessing over all things Disney and Harry Styles!
Hello! My name is Cassie! I am a public relations and advertising student at the University of South Florida with a minor in leadership studies. I love digital art and finding new ways to empower women via the internet!