How to Master Red Lipstick

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Red lipstick can be daunting. It is bold, daring and totally fierce, and appropriate in most worksettings, going out on the town and making a fashion statement on campus. What holds some ladies back from rocking a red lip? We always doubt whether we can pull it off or not. Don’t worry collegiettes because with these tips, you can pull it off like a pro.

1.     Prep your lips

Either the night or morning prior to application gently exfoliate your lips with a DIY exfoliator like honey and sugar, or gently brush your lips with an extra toothbrush.

2.     Moisturize

Use your favorite lip balm the night before and while you are getting ready in order to ensure your lips look smooth and healthy. My favorites are the Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment if you want to treat yourself or Rosebud Perfume Co.’s Rosebud Salve for a less expensive alternative that is also a cult classic. Right before you begin the next step gently, blot off an excess lip balm.

3.     Prime

Many brands have come out with lip primer; it has the same goal as the primer you may use on your face or eyelids. It is an extra step but it extends the wear and prevents feathering of any lip color you wear. My personal all-time addiction, can’t-live-without favorite is the Bite Beauty Line & Define Lip Primer. If you are looking for a cheaper alternative the NYX Cosmetics Lip Primer is an excellent option.

4.     Line

A lip primer is an absolute must, especially for red lipstick. Take your favorite red lip liner , starting with your cupids bow travel down to the corner of your lips, then start at the bottom of your lower lip and line to the corner of your lips again. This is your opportunity to even out your lip shape if it is not perfectly symmetrical. To ensure longevity fill in your entire lip with the lip liner.

5.     Fill In

This is the best part. Take your favorite shade of red lipstick and fill in your lips. Next, take a paper towel or napkin and gently blot your lips while pressing down with equal pressure. Then, fill in your lips with the lipstick one more time.

* Extra tip *

When choosing a red lipcolor, a blue-based red can make your teeth look white. Experiment with different undertones and shades until you find one that you like most.

Kalyn Nylander is a Freshman at University of South Florida where she studies Marketing. Her passions include fashion, beauty, old films, music, and the preforming arts. In her free time you will find her shopping, reading, watching fashion shows, running, or creating mood boards. You can find her on twitter @nylander_kalyn.
Sydjea Watson is from the beautiful island of Jamaica. She graduated from the University of South Florida with a bachelor's degree in mass communications. Sydjea has a passion and great appreciation for the arts. She currently works as a freelance photographer while pursuing a photography certification at Rhode Island School of Design.