lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How the Digital Age has Affected Dating

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

The great loves, those that like the story of Romeo and Juliet, traversed tragic disagreements and that only chance or destiny were able to reunite, went out of fashion about 5 years ago. We live in an era in which the internet and technology have been gradually incorporated into our daily lives. Love and romantic relationships are not the same since the irruption of technology, the Internet and social networks. Human beings have sought to marry, be dating, or have lovers or friends since the beginning of human civilization. What has been changing are the forms and places of meeting, the valuations or social condemnations on certain types of relationships, the type of conjugal arrangements. Technology changed the way we fall in love, express feelings and the different ways of entertaining loved ones. The possibility of establishing relationships through a screen, from anywhere in the world, modified the way we have to connect with the other. This has made things much easier for us, but, as we all know, every positive change also has a negative side.

You can find absolutely everything on the Internet today. There is a percentage of relationships that are built by social networks that are solid. And there are those who try to find and meet someone, in a time without commitment. Today we must keep in mind that there is no longer the illusion of sharing life as it was years ago, but of sharing a period of time. Perhaps the only thing that has remained unchanged is that basic need to be loved or taken care of. But certainly things have changed a lot in the last century, and especially in the last thirty years.

The Internet is replacing physical places where people used to find a partner or make new friends, especially people who have difficulties to socialize have found a refuge behind the computer or phone screen. The specialized medium for searching for a partner online allows you to get in touch with other people, exchange information and show photographs, while presuming a maximum level of compatibility in established relationships of up to 98%.

About 10 years ago there were also many ways of meeting people on the Internet, but the social use of such tool was not so widespread. The couples who knew each other in this way often did not count it, and they were ashamed of it as if they finding a partner online, took away the importance of the relationship. Nowadays, the Internet love search market is a lot more normal and, in fact, it is the most common way of looking for a partner. The advantage is that we can honestly state what exactly we are looking for in another person and what we can offer. We can also select who we want to talk to, and with whom we want to go one step further and get to know each other in real life after exchanging several conversations.

The problem of finding a partner online is the place that prejudice occupies. We see a photo, we read a minimal “bio” n and decide in a few seconds if that person interests us or if, on the contrary. There is no place for second chances; neither to check if there is that called chemistry that flows inside our body in an almost mysterious way when we are in tune with another. In the eagerness to not waste time, we don’t even stop to think what this stranger on a screen can have in common with us. Then we choose the naked eye, repeating stereotypes and restricting the search to the parameters that we assume acceptable.

As times change, love and human relationships also change at the pace of technological advances. If before you had to wait days, weeks and even months to receive a letter from a loved one, then the distances were shortened with the telephone. Now you don’t even have to move from home to meet and talk. Where are we going? Will evolution take us towards the end of bodies? Will we stop falling in love with people to love a profile behind a screen? Will there be answers after the next click?