Holy Grail or Total Fail: Olay Oil Minimizing Facial Toner with Witch Hazel

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Every three to six months, I set a beauty or health goal for myself. Sometimes it’s learning a new technique for applying makeup or losing that extra 10 pounds.

This month, I decided I wanted my goal for the remainder of the year to be working on my biggest beauty conundrum: oily skin.

For about 12 years, I have had extremely oily skin: I wake up oily, go to sleep oily; I am just oily. I carry oil blotting sheets in my purse daily, and I blot my face when necessary. I am self- conscious about my oily skin but never knew what to do. I simply thought biology wasn’t on my side until I started using the Olay Oil Minimizing Facial Toner with Witch Hazel.

The oil on my blotting sheet before using the Olay Oil Minimizing Toner with Witch Hazel

Witch Hazel is a natural astringent known for its oil minimizing properties. This refreshing little toner diminishes oil almost instantly with the swipe of a cotton ball on the face and neck.

I have been using this product for three weeks and have seen a vast improvement in my skin. First, I exfoliate my skin with the St. Ives Blemish Control Apricot Scrub in the shower. Once I dry off and brush my teeth, I apply the Olay Oil Minimizing Facial Toner with Witch Hazel. What I really loved when I first opened the bottle was that this toner does not have a harsh smell. It smells very “clean,” and it’s cooling to the face.

I noticed that even hours after applying, my face isn’t nearly as oily as it used to be before I incorporated this into my daily routine. It also works well under makeup. Living in a very humid climate, I used to sweat through my primer and foundation and my oils would come to the surface. Once I started using this product, I have noticed that the oils that do surface are slight.

The oil collected on my blotting sheet after using the Olay Oil Minimizing Toner with Witch Hazel

This 7.2 fl. oz. toner is $4.99 at Target and has several 4.5-star reviews on sites such as Walgreens, Walmart and Olay’s website.  

I would highly recommend this product to any women struggling with oily skin. If you try it, comment below and let me know your experience!

I began at Her Campus USF as a writer in Spring 2017. Then, served as Senior Editor in Fall 2017 and currently serve as the Editor-in-Chief. I am passionate about writing, social media, and graphic design. I am a portrait photographer and a self-proclaimed makeup junkie. Follow me on Twitter and Instagram @cc_red13 to connect!