Have a Creative Block? Here's What To Do

...I’m just beginning, the pen’s in my hand,

Ending unplanned Staring at the blank page before you, Open up the dirty window,

Let the sun illuminate the words that you cannot find...

- Natasha Bedingfield, “Unwritten”

We have all gone through a creative block. It can be frustrating, staring at that blank page or canvas. Below are some helpful tips to reopen your creative channels.

1. 1. Doodle

Flatlay photography of stuffs on white surface photo.

Doodling can be a great way to ease your mind. A flower on paper may turn into a groundbreaking design of an original character. Do you think Salvador Dalí came up with the famous painting, “The Persistence of Memory,” from nothing? He had to stimulate ideas through sketches before finalizing anything.

2. 2. Take Pictures

blonde woman holding camera outside

Look at where you are now. Even in the most common places, there is beauty.

3. 3. Listen to Music

small cactus plant next to a stack of books on white coffee table

The rhythm and lyrics of songs have power.

4. 4. Connect with Nature

woman on the beach

Sometimes when you’re stuck in a rut, you don’t know how to separate yourself and take a step back. To clear your head, go outside. It is both relaxing and distracting. Open your mind to the beauty around you. Look and listen.

5. 5. Watch Videos

Girl watching Netflix

Programs on TV, YouTube, Netflix, Hulu, etc., have stories that can inspire you.

6. 6. Dream

woman in bed under covers

When you wake up, sometimes you remember the dreams you had. I recommend writing your dreams down in a journal. Symbols or events in dreams can translate into a real-life masterpiece. Watch Lady Gaga’s music video, “911.” It’s based on the essence of dreams.

7. 7. Take a Shower

Skincare morning routine

In the shower, it’s just you and your thoughts.

8. 8. Think Outside the Box

black woman with braided hair smiling

Do what you put your mind to.