This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.
Major: Creative writing
Minor: none currently, although I’d like to minor (or double major!) in Mass Communications
Relationship status: single
Hometown: Valrico, FL

Why did you choose creative writing?
“Despite what seemed like everybody and their mother advising me against it, I chose to venture into creative writing because it’s my sole (and soul!) passion. It’s certainly risky, dedicating yourself to a field like this, but I never would have been happy or satisfied doing anything else. I’ll toot my own horn for a moment and say this: writing is truly the only thing I’ve got going for me. And when the powers that be hand you a talent, you better take it and run.”

Why did you choose to come to USF?
“Truthfully, I wasn’t quite ready to make the leap to north Florida or somewhere out of state. USF was close to home and had a good reputation. Let’s not forget the appeal that is this school’s fabulous creative criting program!”

What’s your favorite thing about this school?
“I really enjoy the diversity around campus. As a people-watcher and admirer of different cultures, I love seeing and meeting new people from all walks of life here. I don’t think many other schools can claim to be as broadly diverse as USF.”

What do you plan to do after graduation, short term and long term?
“Immediately post-graduation, I’d like to land a decent gig working somewhere that will help me earn enough money to finally move out of my mama’s house and buy myself a one-way ticket out of Florida. If I don’t earn my rent and grocery money through writing, I’ve been tossing around the idea of becoming a flight attendant. In the long term, I’d ideally like to live a comfortable life in southern California with a nice dude, a cat, and a classic car.”

What’s your dream job?
“In my personal Nirvana, my dream job would entail writing screenplays for television or Hollywood films and making the big bucks. That aside, being the next J.K. Rowling or Stephen King would also be pretty nice.”

What has college taught you so far?
“Too many things to list here. The importance of staying organized. That it’s okay to break away from people who aren’t good for you (read: crappy dorm roommates and clingy or controlling significant others). I’ve also picked up some pretty strong observational and time management skills as a commuter, because parking on this campus ain’t no joke.”

Who has been your favorite professor, or what’s been your favorite class?
“Although fiction is my game, I particularly enjoyed Ira Sukrungruang’s Creative Nonfiction course. He’s a very compelling educator and man, and had a talent for making our three-hour class feel like thirty minutes. If you’re into photography and can take a joke, Forrest Macdonald is also pretty excellent and really broadened my artistic horizons.” 

What is your motivation to succeed in school?
“I’m currently unemployed after recently being diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, so doing well in school is my outlet for feeling accomplished and successful in day-to-day life. You know how some surveys or whatnot list “student” as an occupation? You laugh, but I take that seriously. I also want a better life for myself post-graduation, and there’s a good chance crappy grades aren’t going to make that happen.” 

Favorite quote?
“‘The creative adult is the child who survived.’ –Ancient Graffiti Proverb”

Justine is a recent graduate of the University of South Florida. She received her B.A. in mass communcations in spring 2014. She was the 2013-2014 Campus Correspondent for Her Campus USF.She was also a News & Feature Writing Intern for College of Arts and Sciences and the Public Relations Campus Rep for Rent the Runway at USF. She is currently seeking agency experience and would love to someday work for a magazine, become a novelist, poet, editor, host of a Travel Channel show and much more.  She enjoys writing about fashion, beauty, art, literature, pop culture and student life. She spends most days listening to Lana del Rey, calming her nerves with various types of cheese, being sassy and trying to figure out when she can take a nap.Check out her website and portfolio here.She'd love you forever, if you followed her on Twitter @tinafigs_.Contact Justine regarding business inquires only at justinefigueroa@hercampus.com.