Golden Album for the Golden Pop Star 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

by Rachel Hudson

On Nov. 3, BTS’s Jungkook released his long-anticipated debut solo album, Golden, and did not disappoint.

ARMYs, including myself, knew the album would be a hit when the first pre-release single, “Seven (feat. Latto)” was dropped over the summer, followed by “3D (feat. Jack Harlow)” two months later. 

Personally, I was unsure which musical direction Jungkook would take in this solo album. While other members, such as RM, SUGA, and J-Hope, had released mixtapes and mini-albums previous to BTS’s current hiatus, Jungkook hadn’t really explored music outside of BTS. I was super excited to hear what he had been working on, especially since there had been talk of Jungkook releasing his own mixtape for years and years. 

The album consists of 11 songs, all of which are pop melody gold (pun intended!). Jungkook collaborates with major artists, such as rappers Latto and Jack Harlow, and DJs, DJ Snake and Major Lazer. Jungkook truly embodies what it means to be a “pop-star” in his debut album, especially when the title track “Standing Next To You” is reminiscent of Michael Jackson in both musical style and performance (at least in my opinion). 

I have a lot of favorites on the album already! My top three would have to be: 

1. Shot Glass of Tears (seriously cannot stop listening to this one…)
  2. Yes or No
  3. Standing Next to You

In an interview with The Atlantic, Jungkook explains how in this album he wanted to try and develop new vocal techniques as well as improve his performing skills. I think the singer did exactly that. The vocals in this album are top-tier and the performed choreography in the “Standing Next to You” music video is mesmerizing to watch. 

As a long-time fan, it’s been amazing to watch each BTS member develop their artistic individuality outside of the band, as much as I do miss the whole group together. 

Golden was well worth the wait, and I will be spending the next two years relishing in new solo music and old BTS classics!

Hello! My name is Rachel and my pronouns are she/her. I am an English student at the University of South Florida who loves to write and talk about fashion, art, and wellness! I am an avid Swiftie, boyband listener, foodie, and reader.