thomas kelley 5YtjgRNTli4 unsplashjpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
thomas kelley 5YtjgRNTli4 unsplashjpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Pexels
Culture > News

Going To Disney During A Pandemic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Walt Disney World: the land where dreams come true. The parks are known for their nostalgia, the rides, character meet and greets, dining experiences, and fantastic shows. That said, Disney World is also known for its crowds, attracting people from not only all over the U.S. but also people from across the globe. In 2018, Magic Kingdom alone saw an annual attendance of 20,859,000 people. That leaves the question, how is Disney World open during a pandemic? And also, what are the parks even like right now?

As someone who has been to Disney five times since their reopening in August, I have a pretty clear understanding and knowledge of the new safety procedures in place. Arguably, the parks have felt safer to me than some of the stores I’ve been to since starting quarantine. Of course, if you don’t feel comfortable, then don’t go. But if you trust the safety procedures put in place and feel comfortable going, it can be a great time! Here are the four main things Disney is doing right now to help keep guests and cast members safe:

Reduced Capacity

Currently, Disney is running on a limited capacity. Rather than buying a ticket and going any day you want or putting on your Annual Pass band and going on a random weekday, park
reservations are required.

Reservations are limited to three days at a time unless you’re staying at a Disney resort, and park-hopping is no longer available. Although this has created some irritation among Annual Passholders and others who go to Disney numerous times a month, reservations have been great for lowering capacity and creating an environment where social distancing is completely feasible. It’s great to be able to actually walk around and not feel like you’re going to be trampled!

Mandatory Masks and Temperature Checks

Masks are now required for entry to all Disney Parks, hotels, restaurants, and Disney Springs as well. Similarly, prior to even getting to security, a temperature check will be done using a scanning thermometer by representatives for Advent Health. Masks also must be worn on rides, and if you’re caught taking it off or wearing it incorrectly, the cast members will give you a gentle reminder. Although it can get hot and sticky, wearing a mask truly isn’t that bad in exchange for getting to be at the parks, and you get to see a lot of cute mask patterns and ideas!

Social Distancing

Disney is implementing social distancing, although they call it “physical distancing.” There are markers on the ground in every ride line showing guests where to stand during their time in line. They are spaced out six feet apart, and if there are two rows side by side they stagger the markings in each row to keep everyone distanced. They also have cast members spaced throughout the queue areas to make sure guests stay distanced and also to monitor the lines in crowded areas and when you’re boarding the ride. These markers are also present in stores and restaurants, and cast members will intervene if people are not following guidelines. You do have to keep in mind that you don’t have control of other guests; sometimes, you will have to speak up yourself or even remove yourself from the area.

No Characters or Large Shows

This one hurts to write, but Disney is not currently allowing for character meet and greets or large shows where crowds can’t be controlled. Instead of traditional character experiences, Disney has added special, smaller parades that will feature different characters who’d usually have a meet and greet experience. Some characters included in these new experiences are the princesses, Elsa and Anna, Mickey and the gang, and currently, Magic Kingdom has special ones for Halloween! Shows have also been canceled, and this includes the fireworks. There is just no way Disney would be able to do effective crowd control, so they’ve canceled these until further notice. We also want to keep the actors safe for those shows that are live-action!

So yes, Disney is very different right now. 

There is no point in saying you can’t tell a difference or everything is completely the same, but it’s still a great time for Disney lovers! You do have to change how you approach your trip, but get yourself a park reservation, a mask, and you’re good to go!

My name is Nicole Coppage and I am a senior double-majoring in English Literary Studies and Communication. My passions include learning (both in the classroom and from others), Disney World, caring for others, body positivity, and eating disorder awareness.
Hello! My name is Cassie! I am a public relations and advertising student at the University of South Florida with a minor in leadership studies. I love digital art and finding new ways to empower women via the internet!