Garrett Bloome

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Major:Information Technology
Year: Senior

Ultimate goal in life: “My ultimate goal in life is to either produce video games, or be in charge of writing the majority of the code for a major video game. Coding brings me joy, and to distribute my creation to others to enjoy would only intensify it.”

Favorite thing about USF: “I can take the majority of my classes online, which affords me the ability to work 40 hours a week, which is important since I have to pay my own way through college. I still have to be on campus for the odd class or two, but I can usually schedule it so it doesn’t interfere with my work schedule or vice versa.”

Least fav thing about USF: “I wish USF offered more electives within the IT/IS program. The ones they have now are pretty cool, but an even larger variety would be nice.”

Proudest accomplishment at USF: “My proudest accomplishment at USF was when I passed Calc 1. It’s a minor achievement, but that single class sucked so much from me that passing it was quite the achievement for me.”

If you could go back in time and change something in history, what would it be? “I wouldn’t change a thing. Where we are in this very moment is the sum of everything that has happened in the past. Sure, I could go back and prevent the fall of the Byzantine Empire and preserve the vast culture that exists today only in the Eastern Orthodox church. But then, who knows if because of that one move, Portugal doesn’t sent Columbus on his voyage not 50 years later? Who’s to say that would or wouldn’t be a bad thing? It isn’t possible to come to an objective answer that means anything.”

What are your hobbies and interests? “Usually in my spare time, I play video games or write some code for some random cool project I’ve thought up. I also do a lot of reading into philosophy. I’ll also pick up my guitar and just jam for an hour or so every now and then.”

The weirdest thing about you? “I enjoy working. When I’m at work sometimes I’m just in the zone. I work on whatever tasks I have to complete and sell video games to customers. It makes it more enjoyable because I work a block away from campus and most of my customers are USF students.”

The most normal thing about you? “The most normal thing about me. Somehow the hardest question to answer. I’m just me, take it or leave it.”

What is something you’re madly passionate about? “Religion. I am in no way religious, and in fact define myself as an anti-theist; which is to say that I am actively against religious belief. Don’t get me wrong. Most of my best friends are very religious, and I find enjoyment in talking to them about their beliefs, knowing that none of us will walk away with bruised egos. I watch religious debates with my friends often. Science as well though. I find the ever expanding frontiers of space and the infinitely small world of the atom fascinating.”

What’s your favorite cause to support? “I don’t have a favorite cause but if I had to pick one… it would be the “out” campaign created by Richard Dawkins.”

Words of wisdom to other USF students: “Pick what you want as your major early. Research what goes into obtaining that degree and what that degree will do for you. I have changed my major twice, and believe me, it sucks to carry around credits that are worthless towards your degree.”

Daylina Miller is a senior at the University of South Florida studying multimedia journalism and psychology and anticipates graduating spring 2012. She is a member of the national and USF chapter of The Society of Professional Journalists, Bull Bikers' Association, and the Heavy Metal Enthusiasts Club. She currently writes news features for USF's website and is an avid blogger. Her interests include traveling, writing, tarot, paranormal research and photography. She recently enjoyed a travel/study tour to London and various cities in Ireland and plans on backpacking through Europe after graduation. Being a mermaid didn't pan out and paranormal research won't pay her bills so her ultimate goal is to report for a well-respected daily newspaper or magazine as a multimedia journalist.