Five Things Dr. Seuss Taught Us

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Theodor Seuss Geisel, also known as Dr. Seuss, was born on March 2, 1904. In honor of his 110th birthday, here are five quotes from this brilliant writer that remind us to the best versions of ourselves. Have a favorite quote you don’t see here? Share it with us in a comment below. at Facebook.com/HerCampusUSF or @hercampususf on Twitter and Instagram! #HerCampusHerPath

1. “Why fit in when you were born to stand out?”  

Don’t worry about fitting in with others, focus on what makes you unique. There is something special, purposeful, and of high value in all of us. Challenge yourself to focus more on your strengths and less on your weaknesses. Seek friends and relationships that complement you, not complete you. Blast Lady Gaga’s Born This Way. Do something outside of your comfort zone (that is safe and healthy, of course!) Above all, express yourself to the fullest because you deserve to shine.

2. “Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than you.”

Don’t downplay your qualities; let the world know what you have to offer. Who cares what size a woman is in a magazine or what others say about you, because only you should define your success. You are awesome. You are confident. You are you. Challenge: Write those and other positive “You are’s” on your bathroom mirror!

3.  “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.”

Do you have any friendships or relationships that bring you down? Often we get stuck with negative energy around us – perhaps a partner who does not deserve us, or a friend who does not carry similar values. You should surround yourself with individuals who admire you for who are and what you have to say. One of the best things you can do for others is be honest. Tell that awesome friend in your life how much you appreciate them . . . and tell them that they matter.

4. You’re off to great places, today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, so . . . get on your way!

This is my personal favorite, and I reflect on it often. This quote reminds us that we are destined for greatness, even if we haven’t found that open door. Didn’t get the job or internship you wanted? That just means there is a better job or internship waiting for you! There is another saying that dreams don’t ‘work’ unless you do – so make your dreams happen by creating action steps! If you haven’t done so recently, find your “mountains” by creating short-term and long-term goals. Even if your goal for the week is to clean your room, that’s a great start! Prepare your mind and body for the future with healthy habits, and wake up every day with the mentality that it is YOUR day!

5. Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the things  you can think up if only you try!

This is the kind of quote you need on homework assignments. But also, this is great advice for effectively managing stress and conflict. When you come to a roadblock, take the time to explore your options, take deep breaths and try what is best for you. I say, “trying” can be staying in for a night of rest and relaxation, apologizing to someone you offended, or sending your resume to the company of your dream job. Creative and have a lot to say? Try creating a blog! Futuristic and pensive? Try writing in a journal or diary once a day!

From Her Campus U. South Florida to Her Campus Nationals. Lover of spinning, food pics, and overall happy moments. Also a Britney Spears loyalist. You can follow Danielle's adventures on Twitter @dkushner_ and Instagram @deekush.
Justine is a recent graduate of the University of South Florida. She received her B.A. in mass communcations in spring 2014. She was the 2013-2014 Campus Correspondent for Her Campus USF.She was also a News & Feature Writing Intern for College of Arts and Sciences and the Public Relations Campus Rep for Rent the Runway at USF. She is currently seeking agency experience and would love to someday work for a magazine, become a novelist, poet, editor, host of a Travel Channel show and much more.  She enjoys writing about fashion, beauty, art, literature, pop culture and student life. She spends most days listening to Lana del Rey, calming her nerves with various types of cheese, being sassy and trying to figure out when she can take a nap.Check out her website and portfolio here.She'd love you forever, if you followed her on Twitter @tinafigs_.Contact Justine regarding business inquires only at justinefigueroa@hercampus.com.