Feminine Friday: Sheryl Sandberg

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Sheryl Sandberg is teaching women how to be successful while balancing family life, work, and staying true to yourself. She is a mother of two, Chief Operating Officer of Facebook, woman activist, and author of “Lean In.”

Sheryl Sandberg recently gained her fame in the world through her book “Lean In: Women, Work, and The Will To Lead.” Prior to being known for the Lean In movement, Sandberg earned her bachelor’s degree in economics at Harvard College. She then went on to continue her education at the Harvard Business School where Sandberg earned her M.B.A.

After graduating, Sandberg served as the Chief of Staff to the U.S. Secretary of the Treasury Larry Summers. From there Sandberg joined Google taking the role of Vice President of Global Online Sales and Operations. After about seven years working for Google, Sheryl Sandberg was offered the role of COO of Facebook. As stated in her book “Lean In” Sandberg accepted the job at Facebook after much thought and discussions with her husband.

As for Sheryl’s personal life; she is the mother of two children and wife to husband David Goldberg.

As if Sandberg is not busy enough balancing work and family she is also on the board of The Walt Disney Company, Women for Women International, the Center for Global Development, and V-Day.

Sheryl Sandberg has been ranked four times as one of the 50 most Powerful Women in Business by Fortune Magazine. She was also ranked twice by the Wall Street Journal as 50 Women to Watch. Recently she was listed as one of the world’s 100 most powerful women by Forbe’s.

I was introduced to Sheryl Sandberg by my mother who kept urging me to read “Lean In.” I will say I am extremely thankful for being introduced to her work. In my opinion, women of any age should take the time to read Sandberg’s work. It is through her personal life experiences that she teaches her readers the importance of taking a stand in the work world and that it is okay to have it all and be successful.

“Being confident and believing in your own self-worth is necessary to achieving your potential.” – Sheryl Sandberg

Photo Credits:

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20715100,00.html

Lover of all things Disney, Star Wars, Marvel, Harry Potter and fashion. Junior. Mass Communication major. Disney Cast member. Aspiring writer.