Feminine Friday: Alana Smith

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Have you seen all of the collegiette™ skateboarders on campus?

There weren’t always as many female skateboarders on campus because skateboarding is generally seen as a male sport. The times are changing though! Women know they can do whatever men can. There are even more women competing in the X-Games as skateboarders. As a girl skater myself, I love hearing that more of us are actually competitors in one of the top skate competitions.

One skater in particular is Alana Smith. Not only is she amongst the top in guy’s contest, she is only 12 years old! She is also in the Guinness Book of World Records for being the youngest person to medal in the X-Games. As one of the only girls riding the Mega Ramp, Alana won silver at the Barcelona X-Games. She has this male dominated sport in the palm of her hand and she is only getting started.

Alana is an inspiration to many female skaters, especially me. She is strong, confident and healthy. She shows other women that skating isn’t only for the boys. Alana lets us know you can do anything regardless of age or gender.

So, go on skater girls! Show those boys what you got! Alana did and she is an X-Games silver medalist.

Photo Credits:
Senior at University of South Florida, majoring in Mass Communications with a focus on broadcasting and a minor in political science.
Lover of all things Disney, Star Wars, Marvel, Harry Potter and fashion. Junior. Mass Communication major. Disney Cast member. Aspiring writer.